Kristina Wolf  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 11:29
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Feb 24, 2005

Hi everyone,

I just now had a problem cleaning up a file, with the error message "Can't process RTF format". I already cleaned up a file by the same client with now problem just before that. The client has sent me the document again at my request, but same problem. I tried saving it as .rtf, same thing. Any suggestions?

Direct link Reply with quote

Mathew Robinson
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:29
English
Cleanup Feb 24, 2005

Check that track changes isnt turned on, and accept all changes if it has.

You can manually clean the Word doc by using the following:

Tools
Macro
Macros
select - 'tw4winClean.main' from the list
Run

Hope this helps.

Kristina Wolf  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 11:29
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A big thank you! Feb 24, 2005

The manual cleaning worked!

Thanks

Kristina

TechTrans wrote:

Check that track changes isnt turned on, and accept all changes if it has.

You can manually clean the Word doc by using the following:

Tools
Macro
Macros
select - 'tw4winClean.main' from the list
Run

Hope this helps.

Linn Arvidsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 03:29
English to Swedish
+ ...
Thank you! Feb 28, 2005

A big thak you from me too. This trick just saved a last minute delivery for me.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No update of TM Feb 28, 2005

Hi all,
This is a very handy function indeed - just bear in mind that, in contrast to the normal cleanup process, your TM will not be updated with any changes made in the document.

Best regards,
Ralf

Carlos Hernández
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Two solutions Jan 12, 2006

1. You can clean files manually using a macro that comes with the Trados template. From MS-WORD, press ALT+F8 and select macro tw4winClean.Main. Then press Execute (or Run, I don't know the name of the button in English). This will remove the hidden, tagged sentences, although you'll have to go though any text boxes o headers/footers and repeat the process to clean them too. Remember to make a back-up copy first, because this method doesn't create the BAK file automatically.

2. But sometimes, THIS DOESN'T WORK! Word files with messed up styles or strange characters might not be cleaned with this method. So here's a desperate but infallible method that will do the trick. It consists of manually deleting all hidden characters in the text. Just select Edit - Replace. In the first field (Find), enter the special character "any character" and then select Format - Font - Hidden. In the second field (Replace), don't write anything, just leave it blank. Then replace all. This will replace all hidden characters with "nothing", thus deleting all unwanted Trados stuff. I guess this will also remove hidden fields, such as cross-references, but I think it’s a minimum risk compared to not being able to send the file on time!

xxxMedAll
Canada
Local time: 21:29
Thank you Feb 13, 2008

This is so simple, and fast. Thank you so much. I spent hours trying to delete
all the bookmarks and cross-references to be able to clean up the file afterwards.

Finally, to be able to offer a cleaned version for my client, I had to copy and paste all the text and rebuild all the bookmarks and cross-references... this went on and on, i turned crazy.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Clean-up problem

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs