Find next segment not translated
Thread poster: Lennart Helgesson

Lennart Helgesson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 06:20
Danish to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 2, 2005

When I have translated part of a wordfile I close down and then opens the file later to translate the rest. Then I want to go direct the first segment I have to translate. I want to know if there is a possibility to do this in Trados WB 6.5. I have tried ctrl + alt + home but then only the segment at the cursor opens. Is there
Who has a solution?

Regards

Lennart Helgesson

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:20
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Translate to Fuzzy Mar 2, 2005

This would translate all that has been translated (100 % match with TM). I don't know any other way, sorry.
Regards
Heinrich

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Workaround - use a Word comment Mar 2, 2005

Hi Lennart,
I'm not aware of any 'built-in' function, however, there's a workaround you can use.

To place a marker, I add a Word comment in the target segment of the relevant unit. A few points to note:

- Although it wasn't designed to do this, Trados 'tolerates' comments placed in the target segment, whereas comments in the source segment may create problems (as they are interpreted as subsegments - similar to footnotes).
- When placing a comment, care should be taken to avoid damaging tags. (Don't place the comment within the tags.)
- Comments are stored with the TU if you add them during interactive work (i.e. while the TU is open, subsequently storing it), or during cleanup (when set to Update TM mode).

HTH, Ralf

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
You can use bookmarks Mar 2, 2005

I am using bookmarks for that purpose. I have a macro which puts a bookmark at the cursor position whenever I save the document. Then another macro button, which moves the cursor to that bookmark.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The "hard" solution Mar 2, 2005

I put a chain of nonsense characters (mostly xxxx) at the end of a segment (behind the segment delimeter).
After reopening you only need to search fo xxxx and delete the chain.

This is not an "elegant" and "sophisticated" solution - but a very easy one. And it works allways.

Regards
Jerzy

xxxIanW
German to English
+ ...
Shift-F5 Mar 2, 2005

This is an MS Word function rather than a Trados function, but it's very useful. If you're working on a file and then close it, when you open it again, Shift-F5 takes you to the place you left off.

Hope this helps

Ian

Marcos Zattar
Germany
German to Portuguese
+ ...
good tips Mar 14, 2009

Very good tips, thanks. That of Ian is especially elegant and straighforward, I did not know it.

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Find next segment not translated

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs