Thread poster: Michael McCain (X)
Michael McCain (X)
Michael McCain (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:11
Arabic to English
+ ...
Mar 11, 2005

Using TRADOS 6.5.5.438 and Word 2002 on an XP Family Edition OS, I need to automatically convert Hindi numbers to Arabic numbers in very large Word documents.

Selecting "Arabic numbers" in Word's Tools/Options/Complex scripts menu only converts some of the Hindi numbers in the document to Arabic numbers. Then I have to copy/replace all to convert the remaining numbers.

Any tips on how to do this?

Michael

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Global replace Mar 11, 2005

I am not sure if this would work. Try a global replace of each number by itself, but make sure that the "replace with" field has no format, and "no language" associated with it, which is the default setting, then let us know the result!

Alaa

PS. I am referring to global replace in Word not Trados, the latter is painful.

[Edited at 2005-03-11 06:44]

Michael McCain (X)
Michael McCain (X)  Identity Verified
France
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Global replace works, but... Mar 11, 2005

that is time consuming when you have to search and replace 10 digits for every document, and, more importanly, very problematic when the numbers include decimal points, since the order of the digits changes.

For example 1.5 in the Hindi system becomes 5.1 in the Arabic system.

ما العمل؟

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting Hindi numbers to Arabic numbers in TRADOS/Word

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »