Thread poster: Vito Smolej

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 16:13
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Mar 12, 2005

I have a freelancer version with problems in the DE>SI pair: the target characters from LATIN 2 do not turn up correctly in the TM, I am getting è all the time instead of the intended č character

1) does the new build make any difference (guess not). If still yes, how can I download it?

2) what else would the reader suggest? Looks like the TM is 8bit and it's TRADOS that decides which kind of 8bit, not me...

TiA

smo

PS: TMs being an ever growing asset, I want to keep them neat and tidy. Of course;)

[Edited at 2005-03-12 08:03]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Download of latest Trados release Mar 12, 2005

from www.translationzone.com

And yes, the lst build are much improved in regard to slavic characters. The effect you are getting is very probably (IMO) a result of wring RTF-code.
If you see such segment in Workbench, right click on the country flags, select "Edit" and look, if there are {} with codes. After removing them completely (be sure not to remove any TAGs) the effect should not occur anymore.

The difference between lst build and previous version is, that when Word document is correctly formated, no RTF codes are saved anymore.

Regards
Jerzy

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I cleaned it by hand... Mar 12, 2005

and now it looks OK ... To be honest, I still don't know the reason for the success (g).

One observation: the concordance search does not want to recognize the "strange" characters. Looks like I really will need the new build.... HOWEVER...:

a) do I really need to download all of the 110 MB to go from 438 to 439?!

b) any hints on what to watch for - like losing the license (duh...)?

c) I spell-checked the whole repository, while doing it. I extracted the source terms first (editing away all the rest in word) then translated it using the existing TM and then spell-checked the target. The result went back into the TM. (I had to do spell checking after the fact, because I did not have the proofing software before).

Now, I am sure there must be a more direct way. Any suggestions?

TiA

smo

PS: Oops, I think I found the site with patches...

[Edited at 2005-03-12 11:50]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Oops, Mar 12, 2005

there is not much difference between Build 438 and Build 439 regarding slavic characters, sorry.
I assumed you are comming from a much older version of Trados.

So the occurance of unwanted characters must then be caused by misformatting in Word.

Regards
Jerzy

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, let's see - hope springs eternal Mar 12, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

there is not much difference between Build 438 and Build 439 regarding slavic characters, sorry.

Jerzy

>>... Searching for non-Western terms under English Windows XP sometimes failed. This is related to the MS Windows XP changed .manifest based GUI control. This has been resolved.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

build 439 and how to get it - or Latin 1 vs Latin east chars

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs