Extended characters problem
Thread poster: Leonel DL
Leonel DL
Argentina
Local time: 07:49
English to Spanish
Mar 12, 2005

Urgent help needed.

I'm translating from English to Spanish with Trados on Windows XP and I have a problem when translating extended characters with Trados Workbench.

For instance, when a character like this ¡Ýappears in the Word document, Trados does not recognize it and turns it into a = symbol (both in the source and in the target; in the memory and in the document).

I've found some advise here:
http://www.proz.com/post/57475#57475
but couldn't find the archive that may fix it.
There's also a hint here
http://support.trados.com/faq.asp#780 (Question 8) but not so easy to understand.

Have anyone had a similar problem? Can you tell me what can I do?

Thanks a lot.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:49
English to German
+ ...
Which versions? Mar 12, 2005

Hi Leonel,
This may be a version-specific issue - which versions of Word and Workbench do you use (including the build number for Workbench - go to Help - About... to find out)?

Best regards,
Ralf

Leonel DL
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Extended characters problem Mar 12, 2005

I'm using:

Trados 5.5.2.257

Word 2000 9.0.2812

Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Leonel,
This may be a version-specific issue - which versions of Word and Workbench do you use (including the build number for Workbench - go to Help - About... to find out)?

Best regards,
Ralf

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If you somehow can manage that Mar 12, 2005

then upgrade to the latest Trados version 6.5.5
All character problems I had with previous versions (until 5.5) dissapeared.
The upgrade is worth any cent you spend on it.

Kind regards
Jerzy

Leonel DL
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER

PS. The symbol that does not appear in the first message is "equal or less than". Apparently, the program of the forum does not recognize it either (but I had seen it on my screen when I typed it).

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Unicode issue Mar 12, 2005

Confirming Jerzy's statement...
Leonel DL wrote:

PS. The symbol that does not appear in the first message is "equal or less than". Apparently, the program of the forum does not recognize it either (but I had seen it on my screen when I typed it).

That's a Unicode symbol; the handling of Unicode characters (more specifically: the way in which Unicode information was handled between Workbench and Word) was changed with 6.5, and further improved with 6.5.5. I had problems with this particular symbol in 5.5 and 6.0 - rectified in 6.5.x.

Best regards,
Ralf

Leonel DL
Argentina
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER

Jerzy and Ralf:

Thanks for your advise, I will try to upgrade as soon as possible.

Fortunately, I've found a simple solution to the problem that may be useful for someone else.

You just have to change the symbol in the Word document from "Times New Roman" font (or any other) to "Symbol" font. This way Trados can recognize it as a symbol and leaves it unchanged and outside of the translation memory.

We here call this type of solutions "lo atamos con alambre" (literally, to tie it with a wire) meaning that things can be patched up, but also knowing that sooner or later they will break again.

Best regards.

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
In Poland you "underpin in with a stick" Mar 13, 2005

("podpierasz to kijem").
These solutions have a reputation of lasting forever. It's a good thing TRADOS people solved the problem (and many other problems). Do upgrade...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extended characters problem

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs