Mobile menu

Problem importing exported Termbase in Trados MultiTerm
Thread poster: xxxNathalieVVT
xxxNathalieVVT  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:20
French to English
+ ...
Mar 14, 2005

I managed to Export my MultiTerm Termbase. My exported file has the XML extension and has a log file. I am switching between my desktop pc and my laptop. But when I do the following to import, I get the following error message "Unable to create the file"

1. I open in MultTerm the Default Termbase
2. I click on the Import tab and select "Process"
3. I select the XML exported file by clicking on "Browse"
4. I click Next
That's when I get the error message "Unable to create file"

Direct link Reply with quote

Easter Bunny
Local time: 01:20
English to German
Problem importing exported Termbase in Trados MultiTerm Aug 27, 2010

I had the same problem when trying it for the first time. I tried several things to resolve the problem.

First, I checked whether any of the files I needed to access were write-protected.

Then, I noticed that the termbase I wanted to import into (termbase 1) had different settings than the termbase I exported from (termbase 2). For example, I had created a sub-language in my termbase 2 (German from Germany) and I had not selected sub-languages in my termbase 1 (only German). The easiest way to check whether your termbases are compatible is to export their contents and to open the exported XML files for comparison.

You may also have selected different options in your termbase configuration. In MultiTerm, click Termbase>>Modify Termbase Definition and look into the steps 4 and 5. These need to match in the termbase you are exporting from and the termbase you are importing into.

You probably have found the answer by now but I wanted to post this for other users who might have come across this problem.

FarkasAndras
Local time: 08:20
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not all termbases are compatible Aug 27, 2010

xxxNathalieVVT wrote:

I managed to Export my MultiTerm Termbase. My exported file has the XML extension and has a log file. I am switching between my desktop pc and my laptop. But when I do the following to import, I get the following error message "Unable to create the file"

1. I open in MultTerm the Default Termbase

There's your problem.
Create a new termbase with the same structure as the original. The easiest way to transfer the structure is via an xdt file. I'm not sure if MT creates one when you export.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 08:20
Member (2009)
French to German
+ ...
You need to save the termbase defintion Aug 28, 2010

Create a new termbase with the same structure as the original. The easiest way to transfer the structure is via an xdt file. I'm not sure if MT creates one when you export.

You can save the definition of the existing termbase by going to the Catalog, clicking on the 'Definition' of the corresponding termbase, then right-click and select 'Save'. This will save the XDT file, which you can then use as input to create a new termbase based on this definition.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem importing exported Termbase in Trados MultiTerm

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs