Mobile menu

Difference in wordcounts: different TM settings?
Thread poster: Natalya Zelikova

Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 14:12
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 14, 2005

I have received a project from my client and after I analysed the files against empty TM I found that the total wordcount is slightly bigger than given by the client.
The total wordcount was only few words more than client's one, but distribution of words between "no match" and "repetitions" was also different.

The client has replied that the reason for this may be different TM settings, and though this time the difference was insignificant, I'd like to know if there are any "required" TM settings for accurate analysis?

Direct link Reply with quote

pep
Local time: 13:12
English to Spanish
If you are talking about Trados... Mar 14, 2005

then the wordcount is a little bit of a moving target depending on Trados versions, penalties or the exact position of the Earth in the Galaxy at the time the word count was done. It's amazing that people actually get paid out of those word counts!

Normally our Trados word counts never match with the client's to the word, so the rule of thumb we follow here is just to go ahead with the client's word count if it is acceptable compared to fighting it or troubleshooting it. After all, the cost per word is just an arbitrary value that you set and you can factor the client's behaviour in your rate after some experience with him or her, for example if you detect that he turns off all the penalties to reduce the nominal cost.

I'd say that the most significant sources of variance in order of importance are:
1. Penalties
2. Trados version
3. Word counts done with .rtf files and you are handed ttx files
4. Position of the Earth

Natalya Zelikova wrote:

I have received a project from my client and after I analysed the files against empty TM I found that the total wordcount is slightly bigger than given by the client.
The total wordcount was only few words more than client's one, but distribution of words between "no match" and "repetitions" was also different.

The client has replied that the reason for this may be different TM settings, and though this time the difference was insignificant, I'd like to know if there are any "required" TM settings for accurate analysis?

Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 14:12
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Mar 17, 2005

pep wrote:

I'd say that the most significant sources of variance in order of importance are:
1. Penalties
2. Trados version
3. Word counts done with .rtf files and you are handed ttx files
4. Position of the Earth

Thanks for reply, pep.

[Edited at 2005-03-17 07:21]

Michaela ACPT
Czech Republic
Different Total wordcount in Studio 2015 Aug 5, 2015

I have come across the same issue and what puzzles me is the difference in Total wordcount. I understand that different TM setting can produce a difference in the matches, but I would suppose Total number of words in a document to be the same at all times when analyzed in the same CAT Tool.

I have actually ran analysis on a single document enabling different TMs, no TM or changing the priority of TMs. The Total wordcount of the same document differed each time. It seems the bigger TM I connect, the higher wordcount I get. It roughly made about 20 words difference on a document of about 1000 words. It makes me wonder, what difference it would make in bigger documents with bigger TMs connected.

Does anyone know the reason for this behavior?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difference in wordcounts: different TM settings?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs