Mobile menu

Installing T-Windows for PPT: Trados 6.5 wants CD for Trados 5.0 but doesn't recognize it
Thread poster: Rebecca Holmes

Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 15:46
German to English
Mar 15, 2005

Dear Prozies,

I recently upgrades from Trados 5.0 to Trados 6.5.5 (Windows XP operating system). The Workbench is meanwhile working fine. T-Windows for PowerPoint is still giving me trouble when I try to open a segment with it.

Every time I open a file in T-Windows for PPT and click on a segment with the little Trados man to open it and start translating, Trados tries to install Trados 5.0.

The first thing that pops up on the screen is the message "Preparing to install"
This is followed a few seconds later by the message "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-Rom or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the T5 Freelance disk and click on "continue".
I then insert my original CD-Rom for Trados 5, click on continue and get the message "Error 1706. No valid source could be found for the product T5 Freelance. The Windows installer cannot continue".
So at this point I have two questions:
1) Why is Trados 6.5.5. trying to install Trados 5 anyhow?
2) Why isn't it recognizing my original Trados 5 CD?

Now the truly bizarre thing is that when I go through this process twice, ending up clicking on "Cancel" both times because there are simply no other options left, the segement opens and I can translate in T-Windows for PPT. But I would like to not have to go through this strange and apparently pointless procedure every time.
Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to fix it? I have looked for Error 1706 in the Troubleshooting glossary but it doesn't exist there.

Many thanks,

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:46
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... Mar 15, 2005 Trados Support.

Not an answer to your question, but is there a particular reason why you would need to use T-Window for Powerpoint? Are you aware that you can use TagEditor 6.5 to translate PPT files?

One point to note is that opening a PPT file for the first time in TagEditor will take several minutes (due to conversion of formatting etc.), but once you've saved the file as TTX, performance is ok.

Best regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing T-Windows for PPT: Trados 6.5 wants CD for Trados 5.0 but doesn't recognize it

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs