Mobile menu

Will I have a problem when cleaning...?
Thread poster: xxxTadzio
xxxTadzio
English to Spanish
Mar 26, 2005

I'm working with Trados 5.5 FL, and have a large translation (75 pages) from which I only have to translate several parts; the rest must remain as is.
It's not a problem to translate only what the client wishes, but my question is: Will it be troublesome when I get to the cleaning step? (I don't want to fill my TM with non-translated paragraphs.) Will Workbench clean only what has been translated and leave intact the rest? Or shall any problem arise?
I'll appreciate your help.
Tadzio.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:38
English to German
+ ...
No problem Mar 26, 2005

Hi Tadzio,
When updating the TM during cleanup, Workbench will only incorporate translation units which are either new or have been changed. That doesn't apply to untranslated segments.

On a general note, if you want to be extra safe, clean up the file into an empty TM first, then export/import the TUs.

HTH, Ralf

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:38
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Are the old parts pretranslated? Mar 26, 2005

If the non-translatable parts are simple text, only perhaps in a different font colour, then its not problem. But I often get jobs, where the project manager has put the old parts als pretranslated language pairs, with sourc and target segments. This helps to maintain terminology.
In this case I clean first the document without updating of TM. Later I remove the old parts (which are marked in a different font colour) and clean up only the text which I have translated and update the TM.
Hard to tell from your posting what kind of document you refer to.
Regards
Heinrich

xxxTadzio
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your kind help...! Mar 26, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Tadzio,
When updating the TM during cleanup, Workbench will only incorporate translation units which are either new or have been changed. That doesn't apply to untranslated segments.

On a general note, if you want to be extra safe, clean up the file into an empty TM first, then export/import the TUs.

HTH, Ralf

Hi Ralf and Heinrich,
Thank you very much for your help. Your replies make me feel more confortable and assured. I'll proceed now with the translation in Word format.
Kind regards from Mexico.
Tadzio.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Will I have a problem when cleaning...?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs