Thread poster: Johan Venter
Johan Venter
Johan Venter  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 17:53
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 28, 2005

I have translated a number of files through TagEditor, but when I sent it to the client they were unable to open most of these files. When I checked it in my computer the files opened without any problems in TagEditor, but when I tried to check these files by opening them in a browser, most of them gave me error messages as well.

For information, I use Trados Freelance 6.5.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Which source file format? Post-cleanup? Mar 28, 2005

Hi Johan,
First of all, what source format were the files in? HTML?

I have translated a number of files through TagEditor, but when I sent it to the client they were unable to open most of these files.

Did you sent TTX files?
Does your client use Trados, too? If yes, do you know which version?

When I checked it in my computer the files opened without any problems in TagEditor, but when I tried to check these files by opening them in a browser, most of them gave me error messages as well.

See the question above - we need to know the source file format.

For information, I use Trados Freelance 6.5.

Which version of T6.5 are you using?

Thanks, Ralf

Johan Venter
Czech Republic
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More details Mar 28, 2005

Hi Ralf,

The files are in *.xml format, which is then also the format that I sent.

The client has Trados as well, but I am not sure which version. I will find out and let you know asap.

Insofar as my version is concerned I have problems with Trados TagEditor 6.5.1.406 (Build 410)

Thanks,

Johan

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Outdated version Mar 28, 2005

Hi again,
The files are in *.xml format, which is then also the format that I sent.

Two follow-up questions:
- Did you save the files as target only, or clean them before sending?
- Did you get a specific .ini file reflecting the XML format? (Given the inherent customisation of XML, it's impossible to create a 'generic' DTD/.ini file.)

The client has Trados as well, but I am not sure which version. I will find out and let you know asap.

Thanks, although I'm not sure that this problem is related to different versions.

Insofar as my version is concerned I have problems with Trados TagEditor 6.5.1.406 (Build 410)

The first versions of T6.5 contained numerous bugs, and were quickly replaced by 6.5.2 (build 417). The most current version is 6.5.5 (build 438/439); I would recommend an upgrade.

Best regards,
Ralf

Johan Venter
Czech Republic
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Additional info Mar 28, 2005

I'm sorry to hear this is probably going to cost me more money to upgrade.

In answer to your question, yes I did get an .ini file. I checked in the DTD settings and this file is in there, marked with a red tick, which I would assume means that it is the current default.

Here is the error message I get when I open one of the problem files with a browser:

XML Parsing Error: undefined entity

The location of the file

Line Number 3, Col
... See more

In answer to your question, yes I did get an .ini file. I checked in the DTD settings and this file is in there, marked with a red tick, which I would assume means that it is the current default.

Here is the error message I get when I open one of the problem files with a browser:

The location of the file

Line Number 3, Column 8:  
-------^

The files I sent were obviously cleaned files.

Thanks for the help so far. I hope this given information will help so that I can resolve this problem.

Regards,

Johan
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Mix of HTML and XML tags? Mar 28, 2005

Hi again,

Says who? Contact your local Trados office to find out; at the time the upgrade to 6.5.2 was launched, there was not cost involved IIRC.

Ok. Were the tags displayed properly?

The location of the file

Line Number 3, Column 8:  
-------^

The paragraph break tags are HTML; AFAIK this can lead to problems when mixed with XML tags.

Can you display the source files? Do these also contain HTML tags?

Best regards,
Ralf

Johan Venter
Czech Republic
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TagEditor Mar 28, 2005

The tags were displayed on my version of TagEditor without any problems. I don't know for sure if opening them with a browser is the way to check if there are errors, though. In my layman mind it would seem logical, however, as some of these files do open in a browser, while others don't.

The paragraph break tags are HTML; AFAIK this can lead to problems when mixed with XML tags.

I am not mixing these files with
... See more

The tags were displayed on my version of TagEditor without any problems. I don't know for sure if opening them with a browser is the way to check if there are errors, though. In my layman mind it would seem logical, however, as some of these files do open in a browser, while others don't.

I am not mixing these files with HTML (I wouldn't know how to do it to begin with). This is only the error message I get when opening these files with a browser.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Authoring Mar 28, 2005

Hi...

The reason why I asked was that a wrong DTD could have been the source of the problem - if tags were identified OK, that's unlikely.

I am not mixing these files with HTML (I wouldn't know how to do it to begin with).

You didn't - the author of the file may have done that; IOW the problem would be related to the authoring of the file. Assuming this is correct, the original files should have the same problem.

This is only the error message I get when opening these files with a browser.

Understood. The error message indicates that the paragraph tag is not contained in the definitions for the XML file. IOW my take on it is that the problem is in the authoring of the file, rather than a TagEditor issue.

Best regards, Ralf

Johan Venter
Czech Republic
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Feedback Mar 28, 2005

Thank you very much for all your input, Ralph. If worse comes to worst I suppose I will have to discard the current files and try it again with the existing Trados memory. It should not take too long, but I suppose I will have to get my clicking finger in shape for that.

The client has indicated that he will ask someone else who is better versed in Trados to have a look at it on their side tomorrow. Hopefully they will be able to solve it. I will let them know what you think the pro
... See more
Thank you very much for all your input, Ralph. If worse comes to worst I suppose I will have to discard the current files and try it again with the existing Trados memory. It should not take too long, but I suppose I will have to get my clicking finger in shape for that.

The client has indicated that he will ask someone else who is better versed in Trados to have a look at it on their side tomorrow. Hopefully they will be able to solve it. I will let them know what you think the problem could be, however.

Kind regards,

Johan
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Did you check the source files? Mar 28, 2005

Hi again,

Forget clicking - use Translate to fuzzy and the keyboard commands... But as I said before, I would strongly recommend to check if the same problem occurs with the source files...

The client has indicated that he will ask someone else who is better versed in Trados to have a look at it on their side tomorrow. Hopefully they will be able to solve it. I will let them know what you think the problem could be, however.

I don't think this is a Trados issue - looks like some problems with the authoring of the files.

HTH, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor causing problems

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »