Mobile menu

Numbers in tables
Thread poster: Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:04
English to German
+ ...
Mar 31, 2005

Why does Trados skip over the numbers in tables when these too have to be localised? In particular I mean the notation of the decimal point/comma and the separation of thousands & millions etc. which in English are commas and in German are dots.
Or am I missing something?
I've researched this theme several times and found nothing at all on it...
Searching and replacing dots/commas is really not very satisfactory. Thanks for any tips!

Direct link Reply with quote

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
+ ...
Translation Memory Options Mar 31, 2005

Hello Mike,

Have you tried out this:

In Trados Workbench > Option > Translation Memory Options > Substitution Localisation > 3rd checkbox > Choose dot/comma

However I'm not sure that this means that Trados actually will ever stop at every number and change comma to dot. It might just as well jum to the next "proper text".

Another way is maybe to have a look into the global settings (System Panel).

(I only have this in German)

Start > Einstellungen > Systemeinstellungen > Regions- und Sprachoptionen > Regionale Einstellungen (Choose language) > Anpassen > Zahlen anpassen.

Best regards and good luck!

Erik Hansson
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
Fax +49 - 3 59 52 - 322 02
ProZ profile

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
'Substitution Localisation' options only apply to numbers contained in segments Mar 31, 2005

Good morning,
The Substitution Localisation options are only applicable to numbers contained within segments containing translatable text, I'm afraid. IOW the figure contained in "EUR 4.1 billion" will be properly localised, but not a figure on a stand-alone basis (=non-translatable content).

Search and Replace works rather well on this - just remember to temporarily replace one of the symbols with a special character, to avoid confusion.

Best regards,

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:04
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Trados does not count single numbers Mar 31, 2005 if you have to adjust these commas and points remember this when pricing/bidding. Outsourcers are often not aware of this and trust the Trados analysis results.

Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Thanks to all for your feedback Mar 31, 2005

@ Ralf: I was afraid you were going to say something like that
Yes, that is the specific case where a number is not part of a translatable segment. Is that something that could be fixed in the future? As I said, the numbers DO have to be "translated" too.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Word Macro for doing it Apr 2, 2005

This macro replaces all commas between two numerals with dots in a selection:

Public Sub English_Decimal_Point()

For j = 48 To 57
For k = 48 To 57

With Selection.Find
.Text = Chr(j) + "," + Chr(k)
.Replacement.Text = Chr(j) + "." + Chr(k)
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindStop
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
Next k
Next j
End Sub

It is easy to adapt to do it the other way around, or to adjust it to thousand-separation signs you need, depending on the direction and languages

From Czech to English, I use the macro as follows (we have a space or a dot as a thousand separator in Czech):

. between numerals -> *** between numerals
[space] between numerals -> *** between numerals
, between numerals -> . between numerals
*** between numerals -> , between numerals

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Numbers in tables

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs