https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/30914-alphanumeric_combination_recognition.html

alphanumeric combination recognition
Thread poster: hschl
hschl
hschl  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:19
English to German
+ ...
Mar 31, 2005

Hello,

I am working on a spare parts list for electrical components (12000 lines) in Excel. Most lines are expressed similar to: "Switch VS722 6GF1 722-0AA" (this is the part number). Working in Tag Editor 6.5, the complete Excel cell is called up, so even having 155 switches, the alphnumeric part number needs to be changed/recognised every time over. How can I adjust the Trados settings, that "words" with numbers are carried over? I have been using Trados for a few years, but never
... See more
Hello,

I am working on a spare parts list for electrical components (12000 lines) in Excel. Most lines are expressed similar to: "Switch VS722 6GF1 722-0AA" (this is the part number). Working in Tag Editor 6.5, the complete Excel cell is called up, so even having 155 switches, the alphnumeric part number needs to be changed/recognised every time over. How can I adjust the Trados settings, that "words" with numbers are carried over? I have been using Trados for a few years, but never really had to adjust settings for such an application. I guess another option is to do a find/replace in Excel directly...

Any help is appreciated (this might even be an easy one?)

Ta,

Henrik
Collapse

Tekkie (X)
Tekkie (X)
English to German
+ ...
A problem with TRADOS but not with SDLX Mar 31, 2005

Henrik Schlieker wrote:

How can I adjust the Trados settings, that "words" with numbers are carried over? I have been using Trados for a few years, but never really had to adjust settings for such an application. I guess another option is to do a find/replace in Excel directly...

With SDLX, you would be able to do a simple search & replace in the target segments. In TagEditor, this is not possible without changing the source segments, too. (In SDLX, you cannot change source segments at all).

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:19
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No problem if they pay you for it? Mar 31, 2005

Seems to me an easy source of income. Just copy the source into target and change the word(s) that have to be translated. If the customer pays for the whole segment why bother?
I have little experience with Trados, but Wordfast handles such cases often very intelligently and lets you "click through" such repetitions by replacing only those words that need to be replaced.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:19
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Make a list of "variables" Apr 1, 2005

This method may be too time consuming in this project, but I post it for reference...

Trados has an option to make a list of variables, which are not translated. In order to make such a list, export the sheet to a text file, open the file with an editor that allows regular searches and remove all words which do not contains digits (i.e. replace strings of letters with an empty string). If there are diacritics, remove them too, until only words with digits are left. Then paste this l
... See more
This method may be too time consuming in this project, but I post it for reference...

Trados has an option to make a list of variables, which are not translated. In order to make such a list, export the sheet to a text file, open the file with an editor that allows regular searches and remove all words which do not contains digits (i.e. replace strings of letters with an empty string). If there are diacritics, remove them too, until only words with digits are left. Then paste this list into the variable list.

Another option would be to export all unknown segments to a clean Word file, pretranslate it with insertion of new segments, then replace the "switch" word with the "hidden" attribute turned off (so that only the target segments are replaced). Update those segments manually or automatically, then use them to translate the Excel file.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

alphanumeric combination recognition

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »