https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/30970-maintaining_translator_identity_when_cleaning_files.html

Maintaining translator identity when cleaning files
Thread poster: IanW (X)
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 19:27
German to English
+ ...
Apr 2, 2005

Dear all,

I work with Trados 6.5.5.438 running on Windows XP.

I'm sure this is a simple question of settings, but I can't figure it out. I occasionally outsource work to a certain colleague who also works with Trados and when I clean his files, I would like to keep his name in the segments which he has translated.

If I clean the files the normal way, then the segments appear with my name, not my colleague's. Of course, a workaround would be to ask him to se
... See more
Dear all,

I work with Trados 6.5.5.438 running on Windows XP.

I'm sure this is a simple question of settings, but I can't figure it out. I occasionally outsource work to a certain colleague who also works with Trados and when I clean his files, I would like to keep his name in the segments which he has translated.

If I clean the files the normal way, then the segments appear with my name, not my colleague's. Of course, a workaround would be to ask him to send me his memory as a TXT file and import that first, but if there's another more direct way, I'd love to know it.

Thanks

Ian
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Change user ID before cleanup Apr 2, 2005

Hi Ian,
You can close the TM, change the user ID (Settings - User ID) and re-open the TM; then run the cleanup. This will impact on the ChU (change user) field.

A couple of notes:
- If you use ALIGN! as a user ID, the segments gained upon cleanup will be treated as if they had been created through an alignment process (you can thus apply a penalty).

- If you want to avoid overwriting existing TUs, run the cleanup on an empty TM, and then
... See more
Hi Ian,
You can close the TM, change the user ID (Settings - User ID) and re-open the TM; then run the cleanup. This will impact on the ChU (change user) field.

A couple of notes:
- If you use ALIGN! as a user ID, the segments gained upon cleanup will be treated as if they had been created through an alignment process (you can thus apply a penalty).

- If you want to avoid overwriting existing TUs, run the cleanup on an empty TM, and then run an export/import process (you have more control over importing, compared to cleanup).

- Don't forget to change the user ID back to yours when you have finished. (Yes, own experience...)

Cheers, Ralf
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
A good idea is also Apr 3, 2005

to send to each one of the translators involved in the job a project (wps) and a filter (wfs) setting. Later your you can also load these files by cleaning the files. This way you will obtain more information.
I think better than TXT or uncleaned files is a filtered TM export (filtered by time normally). So you can work first with these TUs and avoid to corrupt the main TM.

Rgds

Toledo

[Edited at 2005-04-03 19:27]

[Edited at 2005-04-03 19:28]

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 5, 2005

Thanks Ralf - that worked fine. And thanks to Fernando as well.

All the best

Ian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Maintaining translator identity when cleaning files

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »