Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:12
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Apr 7, 2005

Trados TagEditor 6.5.5.438

I have the following problem with TagEditor:
Segments from a PowerPoint file are exported to ttx and then to rtf. Then they are translated and entered into TM. This TM is then used to translate the ttx file.

However, this does not work as expected. Some tags are not substituted correctly - TagEditor shows that the segment is 100% match, but the tags it inserts in the target segment are different than the tags in the source file! Usually the tag immediately before it is duplicated instead of the correct tag. This behaviour does not occur for all tags, but is consistent for some tags (e.g. sr/).

Do you have any idea why is this happening? This problem is very annoying, as instead of automatic translation (all segments are 100%) I have to manually replace the offensive tags, which is time consuming.

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Could it be the tags are wrong in the translation memory Apr 7, 2005

Do you have any idea why is this happening? This problem is very annoying, as instead of automatic translation (all segments are 100%) I have to manually replace the offensive tags, which is time consuming.

Hi,

I'm not sure but could it be the case that the tags are wrong in the target segment in translation memory already?

I think that if you have a 100% with same tags in both source segments (in the TM and in the document) but different tags in the target (in the translation memory), TagEditor assumes that you do actually want to use different tags for the translation.

Have a look at the RTF file and check the same segments. Maybe the wrong tags were inserted at that point.

Anyway, to fix the problem, I think the fastest way would to autotranslate the document, as you are doing, and then use TagEditor's own tag checker, which should spot those cases where the tags in the source and the target do not match.

I hope this helps!

Daniel

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
In a way, you're right... Apr 7, 2005

I was not clear enough in the description of my procedure.

In the rtf the tags are not the same as in the ttx: I replace them with a shorter tag so that it is easier for the person who translates the files.

However, it should not make a difference: TagEditor should replace all the tags one by one - the number of tags is the same. For most tags it does exactly that, but not for all.

Moreover, the wrong tags are not preserved from the rtf: they are duplicated from the source tag, indicating problem within TagEditor.

[Edited at 2005-04-07 11:51]

Romuald Pawlikowski  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Penalties Apr 7, 2005

Maybe you should change the Placeable penalties value. It won't fix the wrong tags problem, but at least TagEditor will not show the segments with tags as 100 matches. Though if your text is heavily tagged, then it won't help much.

Best,

Romek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with tags in TagEditor

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs