Using Trados with FrameMaker 6 files
Thread poster: Julie Martineau

Julie Martineau  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:52
English to French
Apr 8, 2005

I use Trados for some time, but I'm not familiar with many features of the CAT tool, only with Workbench.

Now, one client is asking me to translate FrameMaker 5.5/6 files with Trados, and I have to use S-Tagger -- I discovered -- and since I have to start with the translation as soon as possible, it's impossible for me to read the whole 281 pages S-Tagger guide.

Can you tell me if there is a "shortcut" to know how this Trados tool works and if it's feasible?

I would like to know how to translate my .fm files using Workbench, in order to translate them with Word -- then get back to .fm. Is it possible and is that very difficult?

I'm using version 6 of Trados.

Thanks for helping!

Julie

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxOlaf
Local time: 02:52
English to German
Request .mif files and use S-Tagger for FrameMaker Apr 8, 2005

Julie Martineau wrote:

I would like to know how to translate my .fm files using Workbench, in order to translate them with Word -- then get back to .fm. Is it possible and is that very difficult?

I'm using version 6 of Trados.

Thanks for helping!

Julie

Working with FrameMaker files isn't difficult. Ask your client to save all files in FrameMaker as .mif files. (Trados cannot handle .fm files.) Then you simply use the S-Tagger for FrameMaker filter to convert the .mif files to .rtf or .ttx files and translate them.
After the translation you use S-Tagger for FrameMaker again to convert the files back to .mif files.

Olaf

[Edited at 2005-04-08 16:09]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Trados with FrameMaker 6 files

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums