Trados Studio 2017 back to Studio 2011
Thread poster: Alexander Chisholm

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:37
Italian to English
+ ...
Feb 9

Hello,

I am being encouraged by a translation agency, with strong commercial links to a major CAT tool vendor (guess who?), to upgrade from Trados Studio 2011 to Studio 2017, since 2011 is no longer supported and they will only be working with the newer versions of the software. Fair enough.

They have pointed out that you can get a 2017 starter pack trial for 90 days, or a full package trial for 30 days. I am willing to try the upgrade trial pack, but if I don't see any commercial advantage for me, I would like to retain the option of terminating the trial and returning to Studio 2011.

As an aside, I should add a pet gripe of mine about the number of translation agencies introducing their own software packages and expecting freelancers to use them.
Message to agencies ..... Unless your software is at least as good as what's available on the market ..... DON'T BOTHER. And from what I've seen so far, your software is rubbish .....
This is also one of my reasons for resisting the "coerced" upgrade .... they're not the only agency out there, and until they put me on retainer (or I win the national lottery - whichever happens first) I am not going to consider a fairly major investment for just one client (although there may be others).

So to the nub of the question:
Is it simple and/or feasible to go back to Studio 2011 after the 2017 trial period? Has anyone tried this and found it to work? Obviously, I will make sure to return my 2011 license before the trial process.

It's just that from experience with other software systems, reverting back to a legacy version is not always straight forward, and until you try it, you're kind of on shaky ground.

Any shared experiences or work arounds etc. would be most welcome.

Thanks for any help.

Sandy Chisholm
Freelance Medical Writer/Translator

Direct link Reply with quote

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Hi Alexander, Feb 9

most important are the file types you get from your client: As long as Studio 2011 can import 1:1 the file types, then you can stick to that version, and for the support: the knowledgebases for all products are still there, for older versions you may have to consult the 'old' knowlegebase website, maybe it's worth to save that one with all its links to keep it as a reference.
But if your client is sending you file types that Studio 2011 cannot handle (there are few of them, e.g. Office 2016, although I don't think there is a fundamental difference between these files and Office 2010 / 2013), you may run in practical problems.

Other than the file types, there is no practical reason to change the CAT in my opinion, but you are missing some good new features and more program stability: Newer versions of Trados have got rid of Java, so there will be much less errors out of the blue, a better and flexible Autosuggest, a faster MultiTerm interface, RegEx searches, better Excel filters, and a lot more. I don't want to advertise, but fact is a lot has changed since the 2011 version. You can easily study the changes by reading the Release Notes of the different versions, also the update releases.

Greetings,
Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-09 13:37 GMT]

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:37
Partial member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Tried it Feb 9

Alexander Chisholm wrote:

So to the nub of the question:
Is it simple and/or feasible to go back to Studio 2011 after the 2017 trial period? Has anyone tried this and found it to work? Obviously, I will make sure to return my 2011 license before the trial process.

It's just that from experience with other software systems, reverting back to a legacy version is not always straight forward, and until you try it, you're kind of on shaky ground.

Any shared experiences or work arounds etc. would be most welcome.

Thanks for any help.

Sandy Chisholm
Freelance Medical Writer/Translator

Hi Sandy,

I did the 30-day trial period for the 2017 version. I then returned to my 2009 version. I didn't have to return any license for this.

[Edited at 2017-02-09 14:23 GMT]

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
You should go back even further... Feb 9

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Hi sandy,

I did the 30-day trial period for the 2017 version. I then returned to my 2009 version. I didn't have to return any license for this.

Why are you not using SDLX and Windows XP? It does the same than Studio 2009 and takes far less computer ressources! And instead of Autosuggest, just download 'LetMeType'...

Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-09 13:49 GMT]

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks. Feb 9

I'm perfectly happy with 2011 (in act I was more than happy, even happier, with 2007). It is pressure from a client to upgrade.

I notice that there is a 2011 to 2017 upgrade offer at the moment that will expire on 31 March 2017. I will probably decide what to do by then.

However, it's good to know that if I don't have a valid business reason to fully upgrade to 2017, I can then go back to my older licenses.

Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2017 upgrade is on offer. Feb 11

I've installed the 30 day trail of 2017, and to be honest it looks more or less the same as 2011, at least in terms of the functions and tasks that I use (the TMs can be used directly without the need to convert etc.).

I've noticed that SDL are offering a reduction on the 2011 to 2017 upgrade until 31 March, so I may take advantage of that offer anyway. Thus going back to 2011 may not be necessary, but its good to know it can be done.

I've also noticed that I didn't have to uninstall 2011 prior to installing 2017 (I just assumed I would have to), and in fact I actually clicked on 2011 in error, and it launched and appeared to run. I didn't try to access any of the TMs I had opened with 2017 though. If I do go back to 2011, I will use 2017 to export TMX files before the trial runs out and then reimport them into freshly created 2011 TMs.

i'll no doubt be back if I run into problems, but thank you all for your comments and suggestions in the meantime.

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:37
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Features in 2017 Feb 11

Hi Alexander,

There have been a lot of improvements and feature additions since Studio 2011. Here are a few articles that may be worth reading to get an idea of some of the new things you'll find that are worth exploring.

Emma Goldsmith has made an excellent recap of the features of the various versions of Studio here: https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2016/10/10/studio-features-by-version/

Here's one more article by Emma, now specifically about Studio 2017: https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2016/11/17/studio-2017-uplift/. From there you can jump to her other articles about new features.

Here's a link to the Translators Talk Trados series of videos, where you will find some useful information: http://www.translationzone.com/landing/translator/translators-talk-trados.html

And one more article: http://blog.translationzone.com/my-7-favorite-features-in-sdl-trados-studio-2017/

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
A lot of improvements indeed, but..... Feb 13

Nora Diaz wrote:

Hi Alexander,

There have been a lot of improvements and feature additions since Studio 2011. Here are a few articles that may be worth reading to get an idea of some of the new things you'll find that are worth exploring.

Emma Goldsmith has made an excellent recap of the features of the various versions of Studio here: https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2016/10/10/studio-features-by-version/

Here's one more article by Emma, now specifically about Studio 2017: https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2016/11/17/studio-2017-uplift/. From there you can jump to her other articles about new features.

Here's a link to the Translators Talk Trados series of videos, where you will find some useful information: http://www.translationzone.com/landing/translator/translators-talk-trados.html

And one more article: http://blog.translationzone.com/my-7-favorite-features-in-sdl-trados-studio-2017/

... do you need them?

I went all the way from 2007 to 2009 and via 2011 and 2014 to 2015. Paid a lot of money for all the upgrades, but nothing really changed. True, 2007 and 2009 are two totally different systems, but after that it is all extra hoops and bells you don't need/use anyway.

So if you want to upgrade, ask yourself 'do I need all the new features'? If not, my advice would be to stay with the version you got (as long as it serves your purpose). In my case, I skip 2017 and stay with 2014/2015 (are almost the same) and will see what 2019 brings.

Best thing, all the versions are compatible with each other.

[Edited at 2017-02-13 22:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-02-13 22:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-02-13 22:17 GMT]

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Maybe not compatible in all cases... Feb 14

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

I doubt that this is true in all cases. An upgraded translation memory from Studio 2017 will probably not load correctly in Studio 2009/2011. However sdlxliff files should be compatible.

Mike

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
True Feb 14

MikeTrans wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

I doubt that this is true in all cases. An upgraded translation memory from Studio 2017 will probably not load correctly in Studio 2009/2011. However sdlxliff files should be compatible.

Mike

But as I understood it, you can use your TM's from the 'older' versions in 2017, and if you already have 2017, why going back to an older version? The initial question here was 'should I upgrade to the latest version?'

[Edited at 2017-02-14 08:17 GMT]

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
There are subtle details for compatibility Feb 14

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

But as I understood it, you can use your TM's from the 'older' versions in 2017, and if you already have 2017,

That's not a problem: you just need to upgrade the TMs to enable the new features of Studio 2017.
However with an older version, you may run in problems if a client (agency) is sending you a package containing files that have Perfect Matches in them or other details that were not present in Studio 2009/2011, so it may be that the older programs cannot read those packages correctly. There are workarounds for such situations, but you will need to ask your client to re-send you files etc.

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
why going back to an older version? The initial question here was 'should I upgrade to the latest version?'

Anyone has to decide for himself. As I pointed out above, the central factors are your increased performance and the file type filters. While the first factor is optional, the second one is a must-have.

Mike

[Edited at 2017-02-14 12:29 GMT]

Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 18:37
English to German
+ ...
2011 doesn't have autosave Feb 21

Alexander Chisholm wrote:

They have pointed out that you can get a 2017 starter pack trial for 90 days, or a full package trial for 30 days. I am willing to try the upgrade trial pack, but if I don't see any commercial advantage for me, I would like to retain the option of terminating the trial and returning to Studio 2011.

As an aside, I should add a pet gripe of mine about the number of translation agencies introducing their own software packages and expecting freelancers to use them.
Message to agencies ..... Unless your software is at least as good as what's available on the market ..... DON'T BOTHER. And from what I've seen so far, your software is rubbish .....

First of all: Yes, absolutely, agency software is BAD. I generally refuse to work with it.
Secondly: Studio 2011 doesn't even have autosave. You can't have a text editor without autosave. Go ahead and upgrade already.

Pascal Zotto  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2009)
Dutch to Letzeburgesch
+ ...
upgrade offer? Mar 20

Hi,

I just read here that there is an upgrade offer available that is valid until end of March but I cannot find anything. Could anyone please send me a link to that offer? Strange enough I did not get any mail informing me about it yet and last upgrade date is in 11 days.

Thanks,
Pascal

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
"March Madness" Mar 21

Pascal Zotto wrote:

upgrade offer available that is valid until end of March but I cannot find anything. Could anyone please send me a link to that offer?

In the SDL March Madness campaign, regular prices are reduced by €200 until the end of March:
http://www.translationzone.com/store/
Upgrade offers appear to be discounted too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2017 back to Studio 2011

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs