Helga Humlova
Helga Humlova  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 8, 2005

I have Trados 6.5. FL Build 439.
Until yesterday I only used Trados for the translation of WORD Documents.
Now I had this PowerPoint document and wanted to use T-Window for PowerPoint - and, what a surprise - after clicking on the relevant icon the system told me that there is a FATAL ERROR and that I cannot use this T-Window. I restarted my PC - same result. I completely deinstalled Trados and reinstalled again - same result.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in ad
... See more
I have Trados 6.5. FL Build 439.
Until yesterday I only used Trados for the translation of WORD Documents.
Now I had this PowerPoint document and wanted to use T-Window for PowerPoint - and, what a surprise - after clicking on the relevant icon the system told me that there is a FATAL ERROR and that I cannot use this T-Window. I restarted my PC - same result. I completely deinstalled Trados and reinstalled again - same result.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance
Helga
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:38
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Simply use TAG Editor for this task Apr 8, 2005

it is much easier to handle ppt in that way.

Regards
Jerzy

Helga Humlova
Austria
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tag Editor? Apr 8, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

it is much easier to handle ppt in that way.

Regards
Jerzy

Moment, Jerzy, das verstehe ich nicht! Einfach TagEditor aufmachen und dann PP-Dokument laden? Oder wie? Ich habe nicht den blassesten Schimmer wovon du sprichst. Muss man da nicht vorher was umwandeln?
Danke im Voraus fuer deine guten Nerven
Helga

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Exactly, Apr 8, 2005

Hi Helga,
I'll stay in English if you don't mind...

You can open PPT files in TagEditor - first opening may take several minutes (while TE converts PPT formatting to tags).

Have a look at the File Formats Reference Guide (included in your installation - Start - Programs - Trados 6.5 FL - Documentation) for the workflow.

Best, Ralf

Tekkie (X)
Tekkie (X)
English to German
+ ...
TagEditor kann PowerPoint-Dateien direkt verarbeiten Apr 8, 2005

Helga Humlova wrote:

Einfach TagEditor aufmachen und dann PP-Dokument laden?

Ja.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Ralf has said almost everything Apr 8, 2005

I'll try to keep this in English too.

What you should bear in mind, is the same as allways. It is worth to prepare the file for translation, correcting formatting issues and bringing sentences togeter, which are very often broken in PPT due to the lack of skill of people, who make the presentation. Look in PPT, if you don't have text boxes for every single piece of text or if there are no unnecessary line breaks. If you don't delete them, then you will get badly segmented text for t
... See more

What you should bear in mind, is the same as allways. It is worth to prepare the file for translation, correcting formatting issues and bringing sentences togeter, which are very often broken in PPT due to the lack of skill of people, who make the presentation. Look in PPT, if you don't have text boxes for every single piece of text or if there are no unnecessary line breaks. If you don't delete them, then you will get badly segmented text for translation.

After you are finished with the translation with TAG Editor (bear Ralf's advice in mind - the opening of a ppt file may take several minutes, even on a very fast machine - even half an hour is not too much, so simple start the process and get yourself a cup of coffee) you will need to save your target file as ppt (refer to TAG Editors help, how to do that) and then open this again in PPT to make the final changes.
This process is still much faster and much more convenient than to work in PPT directly.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Helga Humlova
Austria
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but ... Apr 8, 2005

Jerzy, Ralf, thanks for the "cook book". I'll try this over the weekend. You sure know what you are talking about, but I'd still like to know why i) I cannot open the T-Window for PP (get the Fatal Error message) and ii) they invented this thing when it doesn't seem to be convenient anyway.

Helga

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

What you should bear in mind, is the same as allways. It is worth to prepare the file for translation, correcting formatting issues and bringing sentences togeter, which are very often broken in PPT due to the lack of skill of people, who make the presentation. Look in PPT, if you don't have text boxes for every single piece of text or if there are no unnecessary line breaks. If you don't delete them, then you will get badly segmented text for translation.

After you are finished with the translation with TAG Editor (bear Ralf's advice in mind - the opening of a ppt file may take several minutes, even on a very fast machine - even half an hour is not too much, so simple start the process and get yourself a cup of coffee) you will need to save your target file as ppt (refer to TAG Editors help, how to do that) and then open this again in PPT to make the final changes.
This process is still much faster and much more convenient than to work in PPT directly.

Kind regards
Jerzy

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Trying to answer... Apr 9, 2005

Hi again,
You sure know what you are talking about, but I'd still like to know why i) I cannot open the T-Window for PP (get the Fatal Error message)

Have a look at this article from the Trados KB (found by selecting T-Window for PowerPoint and entering "fatal error").

and ii) they invented this thing when it doesn't seem to be convenient anyway.

T-Window for PowerPoint was introduced earlier (at least with T5.0, probably earlier than that), while TagEditor has only recently (T6.5.x) been able to handle PowerPoint and Excel files. The reason why the two T-Window applications which were, in effect, made redundant by extended TagEditor functionality are still included is to provide support for existing T-Window projects.

Hope that clarifies it.

Best, Ralf

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
Thanks Ralf May 24, 2005

Thanks for the link to the article, Ralf - it worked a treat. I experienced the same problem ever since I installed MS Office XP. Incidentally, I use TagEditor on PPTs, but use the T-Window for exporting text files from PPTs - ideal for spell checks and line counts!

All the best

Ian

Karin Kutscher
Karin Kutscher  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
New Problems with PPT in Trados Dec 21, 2005

Hi all,

I really need to use Trados in a .ppt and T-Window for Powerpoint doesn't even open.

I couldn't find any PPT10.pcb or PPT.pcb files in my whole C: drive.

With regard to TagEditor, when I try to open my .ppt in TE I'm asked to define a DTD settings file. I don''t know how to do this. Please help!

Thanks

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More details required - and I suggest to post a new topic Dec 21, 2005

Hi Karin,
Can you please indicate the software versions you're using:

- MS Office/PowerPoint
- Trados (Full version number including the 'build number', please - go to Help - About... to find out.)

With regard to TagEditor, when I try to open my .ppt in TE I'm asked to define a DTD settings file.

Opening PPT files in TE doesn't require a DTD - sounds as if you're trying to open it using TagEditor 6.0 or lower?

Best regards,
Ralf

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Your EXACT Trados version please? Dec 21, 2005

To get it, in Workbench go to Help - Info and post this info here.

Thank you
Jerzy

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Powerpoint Dec 21, 2005

Hello,

Don't know exactly why, but sometimes it can be a problem if you updated your PowerPoint/Office version after installing Trados.
If there are problems with Powerpoint it can be helpful to install Trados again (over the existing old Trados installation).

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

T-Window for PowerPoint

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »