Mobile menu

Trados 6.5 - TM won't open on my laptop but will open on PC
Thread poster: Rebecca Holmes

Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 10:49
German to English
Apr 11, 2005

I use Trados 6.5, build 439. It is working fine on my regular computer. This weekend I installed it on my laptop and tried working with it today. The two computers are connected over a wireless network and can thus share files. The Workbench on the laptop will open a few of my smaller TMs stored on the main PC over the wireless network with no problem, but it refuses to open my one main (very large) TM. I get the message "(5) Zugriff verweigert".
Why can't I open this TM but can open others?? This TM has been converted to 6.5 so I can't see this being the problem. The file is something like 53 MB, however. Could that play a role here? Does anyone have experience on sharing one TM on two computers??
Many thanks,
Rebecca

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:49
English to German
+ ...
File sharing access rights? Apr 11, 2005

Hi Rebecca,
This sounds like a network issue - which operating system are you using? (Assuming it's WinXP - Home or Professional?)

Cheers, Ralf

RWSTranslation
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Demo version Apr 11, 2005

Hello,

maybe your Trados installation on the laptop does not recognize the dongle or there was a problem with the softkey installtion.
Seems that you are working in demo mode.

With kind regards

Hans

Rebecca Holmes
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
WinXP Apr 11, 2005

Hi Ralf,
It is indeed WinXP, Home version.
What I just don't understand is how can it be opening all
other TMs and not this one if the problem is access rights
or demo mode? What also occurs to me is that the large TM that it won't open was the only one I actually ever converted to Trados 6.5. The others that it is opening are all still Trados 5.0. Could there be some kind of a setting I have to switch such as when working with MultiTerm? Or is that irrelevant?
Thanks,
Rebecca

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Maybe a stupid question... Apr 11, 2005

...but is the TM still open on your desktop PC?

It is indeed WinXP, Home version.

Which could mean some networking problems, but since you indicated that you're able to open other TMs stored in the same folder, that wouldn't explain it.

What I just don't understand is how can it be opening all
other TMs and not this one if the problem is access rights
or demo mode?

Is it really in demo mode? How large are these smaller TMs?

What also occurs to me is that the large TM that it won't open was the only one I actually ever converted to Trados 6.5. The others that it is opening are all still Trados 5.0.

You should convert them to 6.x (meaning that you need to export, create a new TM (don't copy), and import the units), as using a 5.x database in T6.x may cause problems (not related to the issue at hand).

Could there be some kind of a setting I have to switch such as when working with MultiTerm? Or is that irrelevant?

There's no related setting I can think of.

"Access denied" would normally indicate that the operating system won't let you gain full read/write access to the TM database files (the "5" indicates that it tried - unsuccessfully - to access the five components). A few things you may want to try: (i) restart the main PC; (ii) re-create the main TM on the main PC.

Can you copy the five TM files to the laptop (make sure to close Workbench before trying to do that)?

Which Trados license version are you using - Freelance or LSP?

Best regards,
Ralf

Rebecca Holmes
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Gauctil.exe rides again Apr 12, 2005

Moin Ralf,
You are not going to believe this....
Just for the heck of it this morning I tried re-registering Trados 6.5 on the laptop because I noticed the Trados tool bar was not appearing in Word documents. It gives me the message that it can't find the Gauctil.exe file! Sound familiar? I tried the installation/repair option, which it performed, but even after re-starting it still can't find the gauctil.exe file. I think I am going to have to redo the entire installation from the bottom up.
In talking to my office IT expert (i.e. husband) this morning he said that he had installed only the Trados 6.5 upgrade on the laptop without first installing Trados 5.0. Maybe this is the root of the trouble? Is it necessary to first install Trados 5.0 with dongle on the laptop and then the upgrade to 6.5 after than?
Thanks,
Rebecca

Germany
English to German
+ ...
.NET framework properly installed? Apr 12, 2005

Moin Rebecca,
Did you notice my questions posted last night?

Just for the heck of it this morning I tried re-registering Trados 6.5 on the laptop because I noticed the Trados tool bar was not appearing in Word documents.

Note that the two are not related: registering Trados components ensures that the application is properly listed in the Windows registry, whilst the toolbar is controlled by the trados6.dot macro.

It gives me the message that it can't find the Gauctil.exe file! Sound familiar? I tried the installation/repair option, which it performed, but even after re-starting it still can't find the gauctil.exe file. I think I am going to have to redo the entire installation from the bottom up.

Sounds familiar indeed. As seen in a discussion in January, gacutil.exe is part of the Microsoft .NET framework, which is required for certain Trados components. See also Trados KB Article 1439 - which version of .NET is installed on your laptop (go to Settings - Systems - Software to find out)?

In talking to my office IT expert (i.e. husband) this morning he said that he had installed only the Trados 6.5 upgrade on the laptop without first installing Trados 5.0. Maybe this is the root of the trouble? Is it necessary to first install Trados 5.0 with dongle on the laptop and then the upgrade to 6.5 after than?

Nope - T6.5.x is a full installation. Was the .NET installation (which is part of installing T6.5.x) completed properly?

Cheers, Ralf

Rebecca Holmes
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Assorted answers Apr 12, 2005

Hi Ralf,
Yes, I saw your questions but I was convinced at that point that the problem was that Trados 5 had not been installed, just the upgrade. If I understand you correctly, however, that is no problem.

The answers to your questions. 1) I rather assume that it is not in demo mode, but how do you tell? 2) The other TMs range in size from around 2 to 10 MB. 3) I use the Freelance version of Trados 6.5, but as I understand the license, I should still be able to install and operate it on two computers.

Regardings the .net thing: let me talk to my hubby and see what exactly he did and get back to you on that.

In summary of the situation at the moment, however, do I understand you correctly that the Trados tool bar not being there in Word documents and the TM not opening are two entirely separate issues?

Thanks,
Rebecca

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Parallel installation, but not parallel operation Apr 12, 2005

Hi again,
Yes, I saw your questions but I was convinced at that point that the problem was that Trados 5 had not been installed, just the upgrade. If I understand you correctly, however, that is no problem.

In fact, Trados recommends to remove the old version before installing the new one.

The answers to your questions. 1) I rather assume that it is not in demo mode, but how do you tell?

You will get an error message to that effect. ("Translation memory too large for demo mode....")

2) The other TMs range in size from around 2 to 10 MB.

So I assume that they contain more than 100 TUs.

3) I use the Freelance version of Trados 6.5, but as I understand the license, I should still be able to install and operate it on two computers.

Correct, but not at the same time. See KB Article 1387 for details.

In summary of the situation at the moment, however, do I understand you correctly that the Trados tool bar not being there in Word documents and the TM not opening are two entirely separate issues?

Correct. To be integrated automatically when starting up Word, the trados6.dot template should be placed in the startup folder (which depends on the Word version you're using).

Best, Ralf

Rebecca Holmes
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Networking Problem Apr 13, 2005

Hi Ralf,
Ok, shortly before midnight two days later I finally got my husband to show me the .NET thing...
We deinstalled Trados and then completely reinstalled it, including the .net applications. Lo and behold - the Trados tool bar is now there.
Regarding the translation memory not opening - we copied it over to the laptop on a USB stick and it opened like a charm.
Now all I have to do it get MultiTerm under control on the laptop...the fun never ends!
Thanks again!
Have fun in Jersey,
Rebecca

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Replicating MTiX between desktop and laptop Apr 13, 2005

Hi again,
Now all I have to do it get MultiTerm under control on the laptop...the fun never ends!

Here's how I do it - maybe it helps...

The important thing is to use the same directory structure on both computers - for this purpose, I'm making an exception to the principle of keeping program files and data files on a separate partition. (My termbase is in the TRADOS - MTiX - MultiTerm - Termbase directory.)

What I do every night is to synchronise the Termbase folder on both machines, using a utility such as File Equaliser.

Best, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.5 - TM won't open on my laptop but will open on PC

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs