Trados 6.5: creation of TM
Thread poster: Flavia Renzelli

Flavia Renzelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:28
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 12, 2005

Hello, I just purchased Trados 6.5 and I am trying to follow the tutorials but I have some problems with the creation of TM.

I do not understand how to create them from workbench. Can you help me?

Moreover,I cannot find on my PC "translateX" for the pretranslation of texts.

thank you in advance
Flavia

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Can you describe your problem in detail? Apr 12, 2005

Hi Flavia,
Flavia Renzelli wrote:

Hello, I just purchased Trados 6.5 and I am trying to follow the tutorials but I have some problems with the creation of TM.

I do not understand how to create them from workbench. Can you help me?

Not sure if I understand your problem - a TM is created using File - New. But is that really the question? Where exactly do you get stuck?

Moreover,I cannot find on my PC "translateX" for the pretranslation of texts.

Again, not sure what you mean. The concept of "pre-translation" is somewhat misleading, as it simply describes the process of pre-segmenting files, applying any matching translation units found in the TM. (Generally, this only makes sense when working with translators who don't use Trados.)

The XTranslate Wizard is something else, and usually not included in the Freelance package, IIRC.

Best regards,
Ralf

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
explanation Apr 12, 2005

The problem is that when I open Workbench, I set the languages for the creation of a TM (i.e. It>Fr), I save the memory and then I open the word file I have to translate.

I put the pointer at the beginning of the first sentence and click on open/get button. Clearly I do not have any memory so I translate the sentence. And I continue in this way.

that's the point... when I finished to translate the whole text, what I have to do? I have to save the text as usual and the TM created is also saved? And how I can reused this TM?

I know this is a problem "for beginners"!!! but thanks a lot for your help

Flavia

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Getting there... Apr 12, 2005

Hi again,
that's the point... when I finished to translate the whole text, what I have to do? I have to save the text as usual and the TM created is also saved? And how I can reused this TM?

The TM is 'filled' as you work with it - just use it for the next text you're working on. And so on, and so on...

Another way to fill the TM is to align old translations (using WinAlign) - this means that you're building a database from existing file pairs.

Two documents worth having a look at:
- Trados File Formats Reference Guide
- WinAlign User Guide
(both should have been installed with T6.5 - go to Start - Programs - Trados 6.5 FL - Documentation)

HTH, Ralf

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
great! Apr 12, 2005

Thank you so much for your help. I am already at work!

Have a nice day,

Flavia

Xiangdong Zhuo
China
Local time: 18:28
English to Chinese
where to cleanup Apr 13, 2005

The TM is 'filled' as you work with it - just use it for the next text you're working on. And so on, and so on...

but what if you didn't save it?It is different from two different "cleanup" approach.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Translation units are stored as you go along Apr 13, 2005

Xiangdong Zhuo wrote:

but what if you didn't save it?

There's no need to separately save the TM, as translation units (TUs) are stored in the TM as you're working with it.

It is different from two different "cleanup" approach.

Not sure what you mean here - it's possible to import TUs by cleaning up a bilingual file (provided that the Update TM option in the cleanup dialogue is checked), but the main purpose of this function is to incorporate any changes made during manual editing (subsequent to interactive translation with Workbench).

HTH, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.5: creation of TM

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs