Thread poster: Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:21
German to Spanish
Apr 13, 2005

Hallo,

Is there a way to count all the words (target segments) contained in a TM?

Using Trados or a editor.

Thks

Toledo

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Not without a bit of processing Apr 13, 2005

You'd have to export the TM, modify it a little (through Find & Replace operations, so that only the target text remains), and then analyze or count the resulting file.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:21
English to German
+ ...
In Word Apr 13, 2005

You could copy an exported TM into Word, delete the RTF Preamble, search for \*DE-DE\> in a TM with the target language DE-DE and replace it by a space.

Only the target text and some parts at the beginning and end will be left.

(Click on Reply with Quote to view the full tested search pattern.)

[Edited at 2005-04-13 13:56]

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Another workaround? Apr 13, 2005

Thks Harry and Tectranslator.

This way could be good if the sentences were not so "heavy tagged" (XML files).

And for the purpose I am following not enough information. I'd like to see how many repetitions are inside too.
So, it is possible to convert a TM to a "uncleaned file"?

So I could analyse this file in a empty TM, I have the DTD settings used for this XMLs, so the tags would be not a problem for the analysis.

Thks again
... See more

And for the purpose I am following not enough information. I'd like to see how many repetitions are inside too.

So I could analyse this file in a empty TM, I have the DTD settings used for this XMLs, so the tags would be not a problem for the analysis.

Thks again

[Edited at 2005-04-13 17:25]
Collapse

pep
pep
English to Spanish
If you have SDLX Apr 13, 2005

you could maybe export to TMX, import into SDLX, reverse source and target in TM Maintain and then export to itd, were you can count with File Statistics.

You can make an estimation of repetitions by importing the itd file you just created overwriting existing segments into a new memory and exporting again to a second itd and count the differences.

I'm not sure about how you can get any fuzzies. To get a fuzzy you need an existing memory (not this one).

I
... See more
you could maybe export to TMX, import into SDLX, reverse source and target in TM Maintain and then export to itd, were you can count with File Statistics.

You can make an estimation of repetitions by importing the itd file you just created overwriting existing segments into a new memory and exporting again to a second itd and count the differences.

I'm not sure about how you can get any fuzzies. To get a fuzzy you need an existing memory (not this one).

Inside a memory there are no fuzzies, all segments are 100% matches otherwise it is not a memory, its a bomb.

I hope this helps.

Pep.

Toledo wrote:

And for the purpose I am following not enough information. I'd like to see how many repetitions and fuzzies are inside too.

So I could analyse this file in a empty TM, I have the DTP settings used for this XMLs, so the tags would be not a problem for the analysis.

Thks again

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Counting words in a TM

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »