Thread poster: Juliet Haydock

Juliet Haydock  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:15
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 16

Hi
I am translating a Wordpad text file in SDL Trados Workbench 2014 and only need to translate the text after the "=" sign in each case.
Example:
menu.group.141.text=corporate
menu.group.143.text=News
menu.group.166.text=Supporto
menu.group.172.text=CONTATTI
menu.it_contatti.144.text=Contatti
menu.it_corporate_chi-siamo.169.text=Chi siamo

Is there any way I can hide the text before the "=" sign? This would also be extremely useful for calculating the wordcount
Thanks in advance for any assistance:)
Juliet

Direct link Reply with quote

Roy Chacón  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 08:15
English to Spanish
Workaround Mar 16

Dear Juliette, hi, I actually don't know how, but I use Excel to extract the text. It's really easy, here's an example for you:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/030gmwrptzyhyxw/example.xlsx?dl=0

Kind regards,

Roy

_stephan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:15
English to German
Use Java Resources Filter Mar 16

This looks like it's really a .properties file. Developers sometimes change the file name extension to .txt before they send them to me because they are not aware I can handle their native files.

If you change the extension to .properties, Studio should automatically segment the file using the Java Resources filter, which extracts everything after the equal sign. And if they really want a .txt file you can simply change it back after.

Before I knew that I used to use a custom text filter that looked something like this:

Opening pattern: ^.*=
Closing pattern: $
Multiline: False

Stephan

Juliet Haydock  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:15
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Roy and Stephan! Mar 20

I'll have a go at your ideas - I'm sure you are right about it being a properties file because the previous job from this client WAS a properties file
Juliet

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I use rules to hide code that doesn't need translating

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs