Mobile menu

How to import TM into Multiterm
Thread poster: szuw
Local time: 14:43
English to Polish
Apr 15, 2005

I have searched the forum but still have no idea how to do it.
I have Trados 6.5 and Multiterm Xi.
I have exported repeated phrases from the source file (many thanks to Jabberwock!). I have translated some of them and now they are stored in TM file. I want to add them automatically into Multiterm glossary.
I can export TM into txt file. There are 6 lines in the txt file which corresponds to one segment of TM, for example:

13042005, 22:43:45

I understand that now txt file has to be transformed somehow into xml file, which can be imported by Multiterm.
But how? I tried copying the txt into Excel and saving it as xml but then Multiterm doesn't see any entries in it.

Direct link Reply with quote

Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:43
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
Multiterm convert Apr 15, 2005

With Multiterm, you should have Multiterm Concert (a software associated to Multiterm) doing the whole job for you.
You just have to mention where is the file, where you want to export it and so on and then you get a file that you can directly import in Multiterm.

It is rather easy, and clearer than my explanation i guess

Hope it helps

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:43
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Which Excel version do you have? Apr 16, 2005

It's important to know which Excel version do you have.
The MultitermI iX Convert tool will not work if your Excel version is the one that cames with Office 98 (which is the one I have), and you'll have to make a couple of extra conversions. In my case (I'm Office 98 owner), I have to save the Excel file in *.txt delimited by tabs, and afterwards, to open the *.txt and save it as txt (code UTF-8). If

Whatever be your case, note that you have to prepare the glossary in two or three columns as follows:

mother mamá madre
father papá padre

After the conversion is done, create a new Multiterm termbase using as reference the *.xlm file created by the Conversion tool. The procedure is not easy to learn, but I'm sure you'll succeed!

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:43
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Are you sure you want to? Apr 16, 2005

One reason you can't find information on converting a TM to MultiTerm is because they serve different purposes, and therefore there should not normally be a need to convert between the two. A TM is all about storing sentences, while MultiTerm is primarily for terminology - words or short phrases. That is perhaps why there is no such conversion option in MultiTerm Convert. So it's worth asking yourself if you really need to convert.

Having said that, I recently did such a conversion. I have the same setup as you, and I had a TM with many single words or short phrases that would be more useful in Multiterm. Like you, I could not find any documentation, so I worked out my own method. I suspect there are more refined methods, and hopefully some guru will explain that here. Meanwhile, this procedure should work (but it assumes that you have a powerful text editor, preferably with macros, (I use UltraEdit), that you are familiar with different file formats and Unicode, and Excel):

First reformat your TM export file so that instead of looking like your example

13042005, 22:43:45

it contains only

Mother (tab character) Matka

on a single line, the same for all other lines, and the first line contains the name of the source and target languages, e g English (tab ) Polish etc (as described in Clarisa Moraña's answer above).

In fact for your first attempt, I suggest a file with only 2 rows like this:

English (tab ) Polish
Mother (tab) Matka

Import that file into Excel (as a tab-delimited text file). Make sure your words are each in their own single column, with the correct language names in the first row. Save as an Excel XLS file.

Load MuiltiTerm Convert. Read its User Guide (twice) because the process from here on is not very intuitive.

Select conversion from Microsoft Excel format. Browse to load your input file (the .XLS file). On the Specify Column Header screen, the simplest procedure is to to define two index fields to be the same as the language names in the "Available column header fields". Read the User Guide, because if you get this stage wrong, the conversion will appear to succeed but will produce zero entries.

Convert will then convert your XLS file into an XML file that you can import into a termbase (newly created or existing) in MultiTerm.

As you can see, it is not very straightforward, but this method certainly works (for me), and can also be used for converting other terminology sources. The key is to start by producing a tab-delimited text file, and then proceed as above. Good luck!

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Déjà Vu X Apr 16, 2005

In DVX this function would be redundant, because it automatically searches and displays former segments which are contained in the current segment.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import TM into Multiterm

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs