.mtw file - possible conversion?
Thread poster: Heike Behl, Ph.D.

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:23
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 15, 2005

A client sent me a dictionary file, .mtw. I suspect this is an older version of Trados Multiterm. The PO lists as tools Traods WB 6.0 - which was never mentioned in all the prior discussions regarding this job.

My Trados Version is 6.5.5 (my previous version is 3), and I don't own 6.0. How do I get the dictionary to work with my version? Is there maybe someone who could convert it for me? And can it also be converted back for the client? Or is there any way to convert it at least into a text format?

BTW, I read in another forum post something about necessary index files. I only have the .mtw file. Are there any files missing?

Any help and helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated!

TIA!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:23
English to German
+ ...
Use MT Convert Apr 16, 2005

Hi Heike,
A client sent me a dictionary file, .mtw. I suspect this is an older version of Trados Multiterm.

Correct - .mtw files were used up to MT 5.x.

My Trados Version is 6.5.5 (my previous version is 3), and I don't own 6.0. How do I get the dictionary to work with my version? Is there maybe someone who could convert it for me? And can it also be converted back for the client? Or is there any way to convert it at least into a text format?

You did not mention your MTiX version, but as you're using T6.5.5 (i.e. build 438/439 or 441), I would expect you to use MT 6.2.0.267 or 6.2.0.287. This includes a utility called MT Convert, which allows you to convert MT 5.x termbases into MTiX-compliant XML. The process creates a termbase definition (.xdt), which is used to create a new termbase matching the structure provided, plus an .xml file containing the entries.

You can export entries into MT5.x format, but do you really need to do that? (IOW: Do you have to deliver a termbase, too?)

TW 6.0 can read TM exports created under TW 6.5.5.

BTW, I read in another forum post something about necessary index files. I only have the .mtw file. Are there any files missing?

Only if you wanted to use the MT5.x termbase, IIRC.

HTH, Ralf

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:23
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 16, 2005

Thank you, Ralf!

Everything is converted now, so I can spend my weekend working.
Yeah, thanks a lot...

Heike

Sofia Linderoth
Norway
Local time: 19:23
English to Swedish
Invalid or unsupported code page type Apr 21, 2005

Dear All,

I work with Multiterm 6.2. 267 (iX).I recently received a .mtw file from a client and I'm having problems converting this file for use with Multiterm iX. When I try to go through the Conversion Wizard in Multiterm Convert the following message comes up when the wizard tries to analyse the input file "Invalid or unsupported code page type". What am I doing wrong?

Sofia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.mtw file - possible conversion?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs