Thread poster: Channa Montijn

Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:55
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 20, 2005

I am planning to buy a new desktop (with 1024 memory)and Word 2003 (or XP)...
Can I use Trados version 5.5 (hard dongle) on that desktop and can I use Trados 6.5 (soft) on that same desktop?
One of my clients only uses 5.5 for certain projects while other clienst only work with 6.5...

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not recommended - and probably not necessary either Apr 20, 2005

Hi Channa,
Can I use Trados version 5.5 (hard dongle) on that desktop and can I use Trados 6.5 (soft) on that same desktop?

It's possible, but not recommended - you would need to register the version every time you switch. If you forget that, you will run into problems.

One of my clients only uses 5.5 for certain projects while other clienst only work with 6.5...

Those using 5.5 can work with pre-cleanup Word files without problems; they can also import TM exports created under 6.5. The only incompatibility I can think of would be TTX files based on PowerPoint or Excel, but then clients using 5.5 wouldn't be able to create these in the first place.

HTH, Ralf

Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Uncleaned Tageditor files Apr 20, 2005

Hi Ralf

I asked the client... unfortunately they only want not cleaned Tageditor files, so perhaps the best way to do it is changing Trados 6.5 from my laptop to my new desktop... is Trados 5.5 compatibel with Word XP? Or have both... I remember reading something about using two Trados 6.5 with the same soft key and install 5.5 on my laptop or use the old desktop with 5.5 and the new one for 6.5 (I would need another appartment also if they keep on changing versions and I would have to use old desktops for different clients -:)).

Thank you for your time and effort!

Wouter van Nieuwstadt  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
Well ... Apr 20, 2005

Hi Channa and Ralf,

I have Trados 5.5 (hard dongle) and 6.5 (soft) installed on the same desktop, and it's never caused any problems (and I don't register the different versions every time I use them). It's only been a couple of months, but I use both versions frequently. If this ever does cause problems, I figure I will just remove (and reinstall) v. 5.5.

Regards,
Wouter

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Virtual PC Apr 20, 2005

I have not had the 5.5 vesion and I do not know about legal and authentication issues of running both 5.5 and 6.5 on one machine; but a teachnically feasible spolution might be to install, say, VMware Workstation (I believe Microsoft also offers a virtual PC solution) on which the 5.5 Traods would be running.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
"Registration" = adapting registry entries Apr 20, 2005

Hi Antonin,
There may be a misunderstanding here...

I do not know about legal and authentication issues of running both 5.5 and 6.5 on one machine

The concept of "registering" does not refer to registering software with the supplier. T5.x and T6.x use some common systems resources; hence, the resources for the correct version must be lodged in the Windows registry. In T6.x, this is effected using a corresponding entry on the program menu (Start - Programs - Trados 6.5 - Register Trados 6.5); IIRC you need to execute a batch file for T5.x.

Cheers, Ralf

English to Dutch
According to the Gettng Started Guide ... Apr 20, 2005

Hi Channa,

In the Getting Started Guide it says: "In general you can install version 6.5 software on the same computer as version 5.x, provided that each version is installed to a separate folder."

I did and it works fine.

Regards,
Wouter

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Read on... Apr 20, 2005

Wouter van Nieuwstadt wrote:

Hi Channa,

In the Getting Started Guide it says: "In general you can install version 6.5 software on the same computer as version 5.x, provided that each version is installed to a separate folder."

I did and it works fine.

Regards,
Wouter

There's vital information directly below:

Do not use different versions of the same component at the same time. For example close Translator’s Workbench 5.5 before registering and opening Translator’s Workbench 6.5.
b>Registering the Software
When alternating between two different versions, you must register the software you are about to use with Windows by executing a special self-registration batch file. The batch file for each version is included in the TT subfolder of the relevant TRADOS installation. In the case of the version 6.5
software, you can also access this batch file from the Start menu on your computer.
[/quote]

Best, Ralf

English to Dutch
Ah yes ... Apr 20, 2005

You're right. I tend to read manuals rather selectively (unless I'm translating them). I guess I'd better start doing that.

Thanks,
Wouter

Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
5.5 and Word 2003 Apr 21, 2005

Thank you both for your input. I contacted Trados as well and they informed me that Word 2003 and Trados 5.5. are not compatible, so I'll have use the old desktop for that specific client only and use the other one with Word 2003 and Trados 6.5 for other clients since I do not have Word XP or 2000 on disk and they only sell Word 2003 packages now (I checked on the Internet with Dell). Besides, it is only one client thus far that still uses Trados 5.5 so hopefully the old desktop can handle that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two versions of Trados on one desktop

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs