How to edit a translation after cleanup
Thread poster: cami1976
cami1976
cami1976
English to Spanish
Apr 24, 2005

I have finished my translation using Trados and cleaned up the files. Now I am going to revise it for the last time and I need the translation memory running in order to see the matches. How can I do that?
Thanks a lot!!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-04-24 10:02]

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:31
Dutch to English
+ ...
You can't Apr 24, 2005

But why revise after cleaning? I do my final read just before cleaning. I turn off all formatting marks and read. As long as you are careful when changing anything, the codes will be OK. If you wish to see the source, you either put the formatting marks back on or you open the segment in Trados. This way any last minute change will also be put in the memory.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Use the uncleaned document Apr 24, 2005

Rename the .bak file(s) to .doc (I suppose you translated MS Word files). This will overwrite the cleaned files, but that's OK. Edit the translation. Whenever you need to change anything, open the segment, edit it and close. It is safer than making the changes directly, because you won't overwrite the Trados formatting codes accidentally. Only then clean the document.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:31
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
My solution Apr 25, 2005

The next time I have to use TagEditor I'm going to use a text editor for this editing. Because my proofreaders do the editing in rtf-files I send them, I have to put the corrections by hand into the ttx-files, which is very time consuming. Instead of opening and closing these stupid segments I can use the search- and replace-functions of the editor. It's usually those typos which happen to reproduce themselves throughout the whole job when using TMs which drive me crazy.
And the text edito
... See more
The next time I have to use TagEditor I'm going to use a text editor for this editing. Because my proofreaders do the editing in rtf-files I send them, I have to put the corrections by hand into the ttx-files, which is very time consuming. Instead of opening and closing these stupid segments I can use the search- and replace-functions of the editor. It's usually those typos which happen to reproduce themselves throughout the whole job when using TMs which drive me crazy.
And the text editor will not disturb tags when used carefully.
But this is only my solution, no advice to others!
Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Direct editing Apr 25, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Instead of opening and closing these stupid segments I can use the search- and replace-functions of the editor.

You can do the same in TagEditor, you just have to turn document protection off.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to edit a translation after cleanup

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »