Mobile menu

TMs created in TRADOS 7 Freelance cannot be opened in earlier versions of Workbench
Thread poster: Selcuk Akyuz

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 00:38
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Apr 25, 2005

Translation Memories created in TRADOS 7 Freelance cannot be opened in earlier versions of Translator's Workbench.

http://www.translationzone.com/product.asp?ID=105

Well, it shall not be surprising to read one year later something like that ...

"Translation Memories created in TRADOS 8 Freelance cannot be opened in earlier versions of Translator's Workbench."

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-04-25 13:45]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:38
English to German
+ ...
Enhanced TMX support Apr 25, 2005

According to the latest Proz.com newsletter, Trados has enhanced TMX support. If you are using an older Trados version, converting your TMs into TMX and importing them into Trados 7 should do the trick.

I know, that's not exactly what you've been expecting but at least there is a solution.

Sonja
... who has happily managed without Trados.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Exchange of data via export/import Apr 25, 2005

Hi Selcuk,
This is not a new issue at all - T5.x wasn't downward compatible to T3.0, and the same applies to T6.x vs. T5.x. New functionality requires different handling of database indexing.

You don't even have to resort to TMX to exchange data between T5.x/T6.x users - all you need to do is to exchange an export file, which is fully interchangeable. I expect the T7/T6.x process to work along these lines.

Best, Ralf

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
TRADOS 7 Apr 25, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

You don't even have to resort to TMX

Best, Ralf

"Resort to", Ralf?! TMX is the industry standard, after all.

Marc

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Communication between different Trados versions vs. between different TMs Apr 25, 2005

Hi Marc,
"Resort to", Ralf?! TMX is the industry standard, after all.

I'm fully aware of that.
However, for the purposes of exchanging data between Trados users, in the past the text export format was preferable, as TMX did not necessarily comprise all details/attributes covered by .txt (note that this is IIRC, as I'm using Trados only). Haven't tried it yet with the latest TMX version - again, because all members of my team use Trados.

Hope that clarifies it.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TMs created in TRADOS 7 Freelance cannot be opened in earlier versions of Workbench

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs