Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Trados 7 upgrade from 6.5 worth the expense?
Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:22
English to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 25, 2005

Having just this morning barely saved a document that seemed destroyed in the cleaning process, I'm wondering whether there will be improvements in the stability of Trados in conjunction with MS Word in Trados version 7. The Trados/Word combination is so terribly unstable it desperately needs improvement. Every single document creates some sort of problem that requires a tedious search for a workaround. It's a disgrace for such an expensive program. And then: how much is it going to cost to upgr... See more
Having just this morning barely saved a document that seemed destroyed in the cleaning process, I'm wondering whether there will be improvements in the stability of Trados in conjunction with MS Word in Trados version 7. The Trados/Word combination is so terribly unstable it desperately needs improvement. Every single document creates some sort of problem that requires a tedious search for a workaround. It's a disgrace for such an expensive program. And then: how much is it going to cost to upgrade; does anyone know already?Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:22
English to German
+ ...
Can you describe your problem in more detail? Apr 25, 2005

Hi Marinus,
The Trados/Word combination is so terribly unstable it desperately needs improvement.

I'm using Trados 6.5.5.441 in conjunction with Word XP SP2 on a daily basis, and very rarely encounter problems.

What setup (OS, Trados version, Word version) are you using? Can you perhaps describe your problem(s) in more details?

Best regards,
Ralf

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Trados does not destroy files Apr 25, 2005

and if it does, then because of the RTF-conversion during the clean up in Workbench. But these problems are not caused by bad formatted documents, we become from our clients.

Good formatted MS Word files do not cause any harm, and if have a file with formatting problems simply use the cleanup macro from Word.
You are right, we allways need workarounds, but this is not because of Trados. Well prepared and well formatted files do not cause problems.

I don´t know th
... See more
and if it does, then because of the RTF-conversion during the clean up in Workbench. But these problems are not caused by bad formatted documents, we become from our clients.

Good formatted MS Word files do not cause any harm, and if have a file with formatting problems simply use the cleanup macro from Word.
You are right, we allways need workarounds, but this is not because of Trados. Well prepared and well formatted files do not cause problems.

I don´t know the improvements of Trados 7 by now, but I´m sure, I will order as soon as possible, as this will be the cheapest way to get the new software.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Marinus Vesseur
Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some 'common' problems I encounter with Trados Apr 25, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Regards
Jerzy

Thank you for your reply!

The most common problem is one I cause by myself, mostly: I mistype a word, delete it again and write it anew: Presto! some 'end of paragraph' mark is missing and Trados does not continue, does not repair the segment either, sometimes the segment cannot even be closed.

Or this: the fuzzy match runs nicely, comes to stop at a dicrepancy and from then on the fuzzy match has stopped running automatically. I have to completely restart Trados to get that function back.

And of course, as you mention: the darn rtf-filter. I know, it is a Microsoft filter, but then: why use it if it's rubbish. I hear that wordfast can clean up without using the Word rtf-filter. Why convert to rtf in the first place? It changes a 2 MB manual easily into a 40 MB rtf file. Any amount of memory will come close to crashing that way.

As you can see: enough room for improvement as far as I'm concerned. Mind you, I am a rather critical pc-user.

My system: AMD 2800 with 1 Gigabyte memory, Win XP service pack 2, MS Word 2003, Trados 6.5 with patch. No other TM's installed.

Maybe there is one or the other trick to avoid aforementioned problems completely. I'd much appreciate!

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Dear Marinus, this is what I stated above: DON´T CLEAN in WORKBENCH! Apr 25, 2005

Marinus Vesseur wrote:
The most common problem is one I cause by myself, mostly: I mistype a word, delete it again and write it anew: Presto! some 'end of paragraph' mark is missing and Trados does not continue, does not repair the segment either, sometimes the segment cannot even be closed.

So it seems you work without showing hidden text. If you would show the hidden text, then you would see the delimeters...
If you hit them and delete by mistake, simply go back one action (or two or more if necessary).
When starting to translate, leave a copy of untouched original file for such cases. If you destroyed something, then simply save your translated document and restore the destroyed part from the original one.
But this you cannot blame on Trados!

Or this: the fuzzy match runs nicely, comes to stop at a dicrepancy and from then on the fuzzy match has stopped running automatically. I have to completely restart Trados to get that function back.

That is something new to me... Possibly there is something wrong with your Normal.dot or Trados6.dot. Try to restore them (make a backup of Normal.dot, you can possibly need macros/auto textes from it). Really, it is very strange...

And of course, as you mention: the darn rtf-filter. I know, it is a Microsoft filter, but then: why use it if it's rubbish. I hear that wordfast can clean up without using the Word rtf-filter. Why convert to rtf in the first place? It changes a 2 MB manual easily into a 40 MB rtf file. Any amount of memory will come close to crashing that way.

Then try the Word macro, which does the same job without any problems. Simply hit ALT+F8, then search for tw4winClean.Main and let it run. This however, has some limitations, as very often explained in this forum. It does not upgrade the TM and you need to run it for each header/footer separately. But it saves time and worries.

As you can see: enough room for improvement as far as I'm concerned. Mind you, I am a rather critical pc-user.

There is allways room for improvements. And I´m at least as critical as you are.

Regards
Jerzy

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
Back to the original question Apr 25, 2005

Marinus, I work with Trados all the time and - like Ralf and Jerzy - rarely have problems. I reckon in your case, it's simply a question of inexperience with the program, a question that time will take care of.

Back to the original question, I'd really love to know what the new version of Trados has to offer (can't seem to find info online). Is it worth buying ... anyone?

All the best

Ian

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
One known issue Apr 25, 2005

Hi again, and thanks for providing details.
Jerzy already commented on some of them, so I'll just cover one where I know the answer.

Also, would you mind changing the topic of this thread to indicate that we're discussing issues - may I suggest to re-start your original topic once some have had the opportunity to try T7.

This is a known issue (and I hope this will be rectified in 7.0). Rather than closing the Concordance window (or even restarting the application), it should be enough to click once anywhere into the TWB window (e.g. on the Source window), then back into Word/TagEditor.

Best regards,
Ralf

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Delta T6.5 vs. T7.0 Apr 25, 2005

Hi Ian,
Back to the original question, I'd really love to know what the new version of Trados has to offer (can't seem to find info online).

Right here.

Is it worth buying ... anyone?

Bit too early, I guess - Trados 7.0 will be released in June 2005.

Best regards,
Ralf

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Upgrade to Trados 7 Apr 25, 2005

If Trados 7 really delivers what it promises, then the upgrade should be worth every cent - at least for me. I am particularly looking forward to the direct TagEditor support for MS Word and binary files and adding glossary terms on the fly.

More info: http://www.translationzone.com/product.asp?ID=105
(see also What's New and Tech Overview)

As for the pric
... See more
If Trados 7 really delivers what it promises, then the upgrade should be worth every cent - at least for me. I am particularly looking forward to the direct TagEditor support for MS Word and binary files and adding glossary terms on the fly.

As for the price, it's currently 148.75 euro (upgrade from Trados 6.5.2).
Collapse

Tekkie (X)
Tekkie (X)
English to German
+ ...
Give SDLX a try Apr 25, 2005

http://www.sdl.com/products-translation/products/sdlx/products-downloads-sdlx/downloads-sdlx-evaluation.htm

You won't regret it.

Marinus Vesseur
Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The price seems reasonable. Apr 25, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:
As for the price, it's currently 148.75 euro (upgrade from Trados 6.5.2).

Useful info, thanks! And I suppose I can risk investing 148,75. Sounds reasonable.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Hello Tekkie, give Trados a try - you won't regret it Apr 25, 2005

Or with other words, this is as would we discuss here which is better, Rolls Royce or Bentley.

Regards
Jerzy

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Change to one of the other CAT tools Apr 25, 2005

I've never used Trados, so do not know what problems it might cause. However, I have read the description of it online, and it does not seem to contain any features that other CAT tools do not.

[Edited at 2005-06-17 19:03]

[Edited at 2005-06-17 19:04]

[Edited at 2005-06-17 19:07]

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:22
French to English
Wordfast is definitely not the solution! Apr 25, 2005

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

FWIW, every single time I have received a file that was processed with Wordfast, I have to deal with mangled codes that cannot be repaired. The only way I can deal with them is to print the page with source and text in Trados' green and yellow boxes (to display source and target), press Ctrl+Del to restore the source text and open the segment with Workbench to type in the translation.

In my opinion, Wordfast is not an appropriate alternative. It causes too many problems for my tastes. Not only that, but I would be surprised if Wordfast can function without dealing with RTF because translators also work directly in Word when using Wordfast.

Take care,
Karin Adamczyk

Tekkie (X)
Tekkie (X)
English to German
+ ...
In my opinion, SDLX Apr 25, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Or with other words, this is as would we discuss here which is better, Rolls Royce or Bentley.

I posted a link to allow downloading an uncrippled trial version of SDLX, so everybody interested in choosing the most suitable CAT software can proceeed according to the following saying:

"After all, the proof of the pudding is in the eating".

I'm a very experienced TRADOS user but don't use this software any more for good reason, except when presegmenting files to be translated with SDLX to be able to provide certain clients "uncleaned" Word files.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7 upgrade from 6.5 worth the expense?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »