Kristina Wolf  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 22:16
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Apr 26, 2005

Hi everyone,

from time to time I encounter the problem that Trados just changes the formatting in the text, i.e. my original is Arial and Trados just converts it to Times New Roman when I open a translation unit. Has this to do with Trados or is it bad formatting from the original document?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:16
English to German
+ ...
Style vs. manual formatting Apr 26, 2005

Hi Kristina,
Have a look at the formatting as prescribed by the style used - many Word users are not aware of the concepts of character vs. style formatting, and make manual changes rather than properly adjusting the style.

You should find quite a few forum discussions on this issue.

Best regards,
Ralf

jmadsen  Identity Verified
An quick workaround... Apr 26, 2005

that usually works fine is to make a copy of the original document and translate it without paying attention to the formatting. When you're done, autotranslate a fresh copy of the document using the Translate feature in Workbench. That way all formatting is (usually) kept as in the original (but check it all the same). Good luck!

Jørgen

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Thanks, Jørgen! Apr 27, 2005

I collect good tips for an 'unofficial Trados manual' in the absence of 'Trados for Dummies'

This is certainly going to be entered there!

[Edited at 2006-02-13 15:34]

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:16
English to Dutch
+ ...
Translate feature in the Workbench Apr 27, 2005

Jørgen Madsen wrote:
A workaround that usually works fine is to make a copy of the original document and translate it without paying attention to the formatting. When you're done, autotranslate a fresh copy of the document using the Translate feature in Workbench.
Jørgen

Learned something again. And how fast Trados can suddenly be! Thanks for the tip!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados changes formatting

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs