TagEditor 6.5.5.438/439 - Is my installation correct?
Thread poster: Chris Rowson
Chris Rowson  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:51
German to English
Apr 26, 2005

I just upgraded my Freelance 5.5 to 6.5 to get the facility to translate Excel and Powerpoint files with Trados as I do Word files. (I only use the TM facility, not Multiterm, but find it extremely helpful.)

However, there seems to be someting wrong with the installation, and unfortunately I used up my one support question finding out that I should use TagEditor and not the T-Windows.

My setup is: Intel Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz, 1 Gb RAM, Windows XP Pro, Trados 6.5.5.438 Build 439. With the upgrade, I switched from dongle to softkey licence.

Analysing my source files takes hours. OK, they are rather large for presentations, but even a little six-slide presentation takes half an hour, with the processor flat out the whole time. Opening them seems somewhat quicker, but twenty minutes flat out still seems suspicious.

On "Save Target as”, it runs the CPU at max. for a few minutes - but sometimes it completes the job, and sometimes it gives a message about being unable to connect to a server and fails to save. I don´t know why it is looking for a server. This makes me think there is something wrong with my installation.

As well as this, the editing facilities in the TagEditor seem so primitive I can hardly believe anyone uses it – e.g. inability to format text, lack of normal Windows text handling. Is it my understanding that is at fault or my installation?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-04-26 13:15]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:51
English to German
+ ...
Registered the software? Apr 26, 2005

Hi Chris,
I just upgraded my Freelance 5.5 to 6.5 to get the facility to translate Excel and Powerpoint files with Trados as I do Word files.

Not quite - as you found out, you need to use TagEditor, which, in turn, doesn't handle Word files (yet - to come in T7.0).

However, there seems to be someting wrong with the installation, and unfortunately I used up my one support question finding out that I should use TagEditor and not the T-Windows.

To avoid having to address support for such questions in future, have a look at the File Formats Reference Guide (documentation is installed with the software).

My setup is: Intel Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz, 1 Gb RAM, Windows XP Pro, Trados 6.5.5.438 Build 439. With the upgrade, I switched from dongle to softkey licence.

Did you register the software after installation (Start - Programs - Trados 6.5 - Register Trados 6.5)?
Was the .NET framework installed successfully?

Analysing my source files takes hours. OK, they are rather large for presentations, but even a little six-slide presentation takes half an hour, with the processor flat out the whole time. Opening them seems somewhat quicker, but twenty minutes flat out still seems suspicious.

That depends on the formatting in the slides. Bear in mind that when opening PPT or XLS files in TagEditor, Trados converts all formatting information into tags. With a heavily-formatted presentation, this can take some time. On average, my main system (Intel Xeon 1.3 GHz, 1 GB RAM) takes between five and ten minutes; my backup system (AMD Athlon 3200+/2.21GHz) perhaps 30-40% less. To avoid wasting time, open the source files before analysing, and save them as TTX files (TagEditor's native XML format).

On "Save Target as”, it runs the CPU at max. for a few minutes - but sometimes it completes the job, and sometimes it gives a message about being unable to connect to a server and fails to save. I don´t know why it is looking for a server. This makes me think there is something wrong with my installation.

Don't interpret "server" in the sense of a network server in this context - messages such as this (would you have the exact wording, including an error number?) can indicate a communications problem amoung the various Trados components, and/or MS Office components.

As well as this, the editing facilities in the TagEditor seem so primitive I can hardly believe anyone uses it – e.g. inability to format text, lack of normal Windows text handling.

That's as designed, actually - TagEditor treats PPT and XLS files in the same way as ML formats: formatting is done using tags rather than manually formatting characters. That said, there are formatting tools in TagEditor - make sure the Tags toolbar is displayed.

HTH, Ralf

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor 6.5.5.438/439 - Is my installation correct?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs