Thread poster: Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
Local time: 00:43
German to English
May 4, 2005

In the past few days Trados (6.5.5.) has been
changing characters like ä, ü and ö in Word documents to completely different, bizarre characters (like Ÿ, § and Š) when I open a segment. It has never done this before and I am wondering if I have somehow changed a setting. Has anyone experienced this before? How do I get it to stop?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:43
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please check character formatting and language settings of your document May 4, 2005

When your document comes from Far East, you will see an asian language set. If this is the case, the best way you can avoid it is to copy clean styles from a new document, set to match the styles in your current document.
Should only the character formatting mismatch, adapt it.

You can contact me via my profile if you wish, so we could speak by telephone (I´m not that good writer) about this problems - maybe I have a solution for you, as this used to happen quite often when w
... See more
When your document comes from Far East, you will see an asian language set. If this is the case, the best way you can avoid it is to copy clean styles from a new document, set to match the styles in your current document.
Should only the character formatting mismatch, adapt it.

You can contact me via my profile if you wish, so we could speak by telephone (I´m not that good writer) about this problems - maybe I have a solution for you, as this used to happen quite often when writing in Polish.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Where are those settings? May 4, 2005

The language is definitely set to German (I am translating it into English). Where do I find the character settings?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Format - Formatvorlage bearbeiten May 4, 2005

Or better click on this "Double-A" beside the style name in Word. Then a list with all styles will open. Right clicking on them allows you to change the properties of each one.
It is extremly important to get them set correctly, if problem occcure.

Regards
Jerzy

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Font issue? May 4, 2005

Hi Rebecca,
Is the font used in the document (or the style) installed on your system?

Best, Ralf

Rebecca Holmes
Rebecca Holmes
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Strange, strange, strange ..... May 4, 2005

Hi Jerzy, moin Ralf,
Ok, I've checked the Formatvorlage and everything seems to be koscher there. The font is also straight vanilla Times New Roman. What strikes me, however, is that the documents that this has been happening on all came from the same customer and were copied out of pdf. I just tried copying the one I am working on into a new, blank document. When I opened a segment with umlauts in it nothing happened to them. So I assume whatever the strange setting may be, it is on the c
... See more
Hi Jerzy, moin Ralf,
Ok, I've checked the Formatvorlage and everything seems to be koscher there. The font is also straight vanilla Times New Roman. What strikes me, however, is that the documents that this has been happening on all came from the same customer and were copied out of pdf. I just tried copying the one I am working on into a new, blank document. When I opened a segment with umlauts in it nothing happened to them. So I assume whatever the strange setting may be, it is on the customer's computer and not mine. It appears that I can remedy it by merely copying into a new document, but if anything else setting-wise occurs to you, please let me know.
Thanks guys,
Rebecca
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados changing umlauts to strage characters

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »