Mobile menu

Upgrade from Trados 5.0 Freelace to 6.5 on XP
Thread poster: Martina Ley
Martina Ley
Local time: 19:57
German to Czech
+ ...
May 6, 2005

could someone tell me what is important to bear in mind when upgrading from 5.0 to 6.5 Freelance on XP? Can I just install the new package and continue working with the previously created TMs?
I would be thankful for any recommendations and advice.

Kind regards

Direct link Reply with quote

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Export TMs to txt May 6, 2005

As far as I remember, you can't use version 5 TM's in version 6.0/6.5.
But you can export your TMs to txt format. When needed, you can then import the desired TM from txt format into the new upgraded version of Trados.
Export and import doesn't take long, and you can just use the standard settings and "Small import file (no reorganisation)" when importing.

Hrm... reading Benjamins reply, I suddenly doubt that I have provided correct information. Certainly, TMs created in 6.0/6.5 cannot be opened in 5.0, but you may actually open 5.0 TMs in 6.5 without problems. But I second Benjamins advice on uninstalling the old version before installing the new.

Finally, exporting TMs to txt format is good for archiving purposes since you only have one file instead of five and then you don't have to worry about version issues.

[Edited at 2005-05-06 15:02]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
+ ...
Not much to say, really... May 6, 2005

...except that you should uninstall the old version first and then install the new one so as to avoid a version mishmash on your system.
Oh, and you should be aware that while your old memory files will definitely retain their 5.0 database format, even if you add new segments using your new Trados, any newly created translation memories will have the 6.0 format. This means that anyone with a lower version of Trados won't be able to open them unless you export them as a text file for the other user to import.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrade from Trados 5.0 Freelace to 6.5 on XP

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs