Thread poster: Michael Spaventa
Michael Spaventa
Michael Spaventa  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:55
Member (2004)
German to English
May 19, 2005

Hello all,

I'm using Trados freelance 6.5 with Microsoft Word 2000. All was fine until I got a runtime error translating a footnote in an uncompiled Robohelp Word document. Had to shut down and reboot. when I did, Word came up with no toolbars or menus. I researched the Microsoft site, and found a restore function "/a", which sets Word back to its original defaults. I had both the Word and MUltiterm templates in my Word startup. Now, however, the Trados menu does not automatically l
... See more
Hello all,

I'm using Trados freelance 6.5 with Microsoft Word 2000. All was fine until I got a runtime error translating a footnote in an uncompiled Robohelp Word document. Had to shut down and reboot. when I did, Word came up with no toolbars or menus. I researched the Microsoft site, and found a restore function "/a", which sets Word back to its original defaults. I had both the Word and MUltiterm templates in my Word startup. Now, however, the Trados menu does not automatically load in Word, I cannot display the Trados toolbar, and when I try to close Word, it asks whether I want to save changes to trados6.dot (what changes??)
I have repaired Word and repaired, then deinstalled and reinstalled Trados.
The templates in question are checked under Tools -> Templates and Add-ins. so that is not the problem. I would be grateful for any assistance...
Collapse

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:55
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Try this May 19, 2005

I once had something slightly similar - lost part of Trados in Word. Dot file was checked, as in your case. Out of pure frustration I added yet another trados6.dot file to the macros and add-ins and it worked. Now I have two trados6.dot files, sometimes they run both, sometimes one is enough. And do not ask me why. So seeing as you have done already quite a lot, try this, it won't hurt.

Cheers,
Burrell

Michael Spaventa
Michael Spaventa  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:55
Member (2004)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! May 19, 2005

Thank you so much! I was getting tired of pulling that menu down. We'll see if it still asks whether I want to save "changes" to Trados6.dot

Burrell wrote:

I once had something slightly similar - lost part of Trados in Word. Dot file was checked, as in your case. Out of pure frustration I added yet another trados6.dot file to the macros and add-ins and it worked. Now I have two trados6.dot files, sometimes they run both, sometimes one is enough. And do not ask me why. So seeing as you have done already quite a lot, try this, it won't hurt.

Cheers,
Burrell

Elena Campana (X)
Elena Campana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:55
English to Italian
+ ...
Do you have to rename the second trados6.dot file? May 19, 2005

Burrell wrote:

Cheers,
Burrell

Hi
I am experiencing the same problem. It is not that annoying to work without the trados toolbar since I use shortcuts, anyway I would like to have my toolbar back.
Could you please explain how to add another trados.6 dot file?
Thank you.
Elena

Shang
Shang
China
Local time: 01:55
English to Chinese
move trados.dot to another folder May 22, 2005

Michael Spaventa wrote:

Hello all,

I'm using Trados freelance 6.5 with Microsoft Word 2000. All was fine until I got a runtime error translating a footnote in an uncompiled Robohelp Word document. Had to shut down and reboot. when I did, Word came up with no toolbars or menus. I researched the Microsoft site, and found a restore function "/a", which sets Word back to its original defaults. I had both the Word and MUltiterm templates in my Word startup. Now, however, the Trados menu does not automatically load in Word, I cannot display the Trados toolbar, and when I try to close Word, it asks whether I want to save changes to trados6.dot (what changes??)
I have repaired Word and repaired, then deinstalled and reinstalled Trados.
The templates in question are checked under Tools -> Templates and Add-ins. so that is not the problem. I would be grateful for any assistance...

Delete trados6.dot file from C:\documents and settings\your name\application data\microsoft\word\startup\ folder, and copy it from your installation CD and paste it in C:\program files\microsoft office\officeXX\startup\ folder. Then change security level of macro to lowest level.

Edmund

Shang
Shang
China
Local time: 01:55
English to Chinese
update dotNet to sp3 May 22, 2005

Hi Michael,

Please install dotNet 1.0 sp3 (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/), and register your Trados again. Trados doesn't support dotNet 1.1.

Edmund

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados toolbar and menu missing in Word 2000

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »