Thread poster: Rafa Lombardino

Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 13:13
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 19, 2005

I was wondering if anyone has experienced what has just happened to me... I opened a document in Word, having Trados 6.5 Freelance Workbench and MultiTerm next to it. While I took a look at the English original text, I started inserting new terms on my MultiTerm window and saving them. When I was done with the terms, I started the regular translation routine in the Word window.

As soon as I was done, I saved the file and closed it. Then I went to the Clean Up function at the Workbench window to remove the original text. It seemed that Workbench did its job, opening the file in Word pretty quick while it was being cleaned and closing it when the process was done.

Well, when I went back to the Word window to check the cleaned copy, the file just wasn't there. I'm very organized and always check if I've saved a file in the right folder, but I thought, "you're only human and you probably saved it in a folder just above or below the right one...".

What was my surprise when I opened the File menu and clicked on the link to the file, right at the bottom of the menu, where the path to the most recent documents are stored...

THE FILE PATH WAS THERE, AT THE RIGHT PLACE AND FOLDER, BUT WORD RETURNED AN ERROR!!!

Have you guys gone through the same with Trados and Word? Have these programs "eaten up" your file out of the blue?

Fortunately, this was just a "leisure" translation (yeah! I translate in my free time too...) so I didn't lose anything important, but what if I was dealing with a "real" document sent by a client with a tight deadline???

Let me know your experiences!

Direct link Reply with quote

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
Just open it normally May 20, 2005

Don't use the "Recent document" shortcut in the file menu, open your document as you would if you hadn't touched it for months. It will be there.

Best,
Esther

[Edited at 2005-05-20 04:52]

Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:13
English to German
+ ...
Did you get an error message from Trados? May 20, 2005

If Trados throws a wobbler for whatever reason, you sometimes end up with only the .BAK left over (which is an uncleaned version of your translated document).
You can rename this file to (filename).doc and try the cleanup again -- after trouble shooting and/or rebooting.
HTH
-Mike-

Rafa Lombardino
United States
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"Recent Document" was just Plan B :o) May 20, 2005

Esther Pfeffer wrote:

Don't use the "Recent document" shortcut in the file menu, open your document as you would if you hadn't touched it for months. It will be there.

Best,
Esther

[Edited at 2005-05-20 04:52]

I only used the "Recent Document" option in the File menu after not finding the file where it was supposed to be. I consider myself to be a very organized person (that is: I have hundreds of folders for each different thing, so they don't get mixed up! LOL) and when I saw that the file was not where it was supposed to be and neither in the immediate folders above and below the target folder, that was when I remembered the "Recent Document" option even existed! LOL

Rafa Lombardino
United States
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados didn't tell me anything... :o( May 20, 2005

Mike Hodshon wrote:

If Trados throws a wobbler for whatever reason, you sometimes end up with only the .BAK left over (which is an uncleaned version of your translated document).
You can rename this file to (filename).doc and try the cleanup again -- after trouble shooting and/or rebooting.
HTH
-Mike-

Since I started using Trados, the only thing it "told me" was to use the "Fix Document" option when I ended up erasing one of its markers. It all went perfectly normal while I was translating the file, which I saved and closed before asking for Workbench to clean it up.

Even though I worked on the file again (this time having the translation I've just done in Workbench's memory) right after posting the message here and the BAK was probably overwritten by the new clean-up process, I really appreciate your "rename-the-file" tip and will definitely keep it in mind for the future.

The only thing I remember I may have done differently was saving the file while I had a segment open... Do you guys think that may have confused Workbench, that erased the file without letting me know???

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
Apply Translate May 20, 2005

Normally, you should have everything in the TM that was open while you were translating. So, just take another copy of the original document and apply Translate from the Tools menu.

Best,
Esther

Rafa Lombardino
United States
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yep! May 20, 2005

Esther Pfeffer wrote:

Normally, you should have everything in the TM that was open while you were translating. So, just take another copy of the original document and apply Translate from the Tools menu.

Best,
Esther

That's exactly what I did, Esther. When I opened the original document for the second time and Saved As to get it ready for the translation, all I had to do was use the shortcuts ALT+HOME and ALT+END to get it all squared away!)

But still, I got a little upset with the document not being where I saved it... If it were a *real* job and the client were waiting, it would be a bummer to go over it again...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word document just disappeared

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs