Unavailable fonts in Trados with PowerPoint: single-byte font?
Thread poster: Mariflor Salas
Mariflor Salas  Identity Verified
Venezuela
Local time: 08:52
English to Spanish
May 23, 2005

Hi all,

Hope you are all great. I'm trying to translate a PowerPoint presentation with Trados, which I usually do with no problems. Today I got the message "unavailable font," for which I tried to replace the offending font (Arial Unicode MS). When I try to replace it with something else (Times New Roman, Tahoma, Arial, whatever), I get this message:

"You selected a single-byte font to replace a double-byte font".

I'm clicking all the fonts available in my message and get the same answer every time.

Questions:

1) Does someone know what to do in this case? Which other font can I use to replace Arial Unicode MS?
2) How can I find where this font is inside the presentation?

I have Windows XP, Trados 5.5, PowerPoint 2000

Thanks so much.

Msal

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:52
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why do you not have Arial Unicode MS? May 23, 2005

This is standard with Windows XP AFAIR.
At least we have it with all our systems (2 running german XP Pro, one german XP Home and one polish XP Pro).

Possibly this is not the font you should replace...

OTOH this would be a very strong reason to upgrade to newer version of Trados, as then you could use TAG Editor insteda and work on that with no problems at all.

Regards
Jerzy

Mariflor Salas  Identity Verified
Venezuela
Local time: 08:52
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
You are right, Jerzy: I do have this font May 23, 2005

I checked after I read your reply (thanks so much for that), and yes, I do have it.

And now I'm more confused as to why I'm getting this message of "unavailable font" with the question mark ONLY pointing to Arial Unicode (????). I have no idea...

RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 14:52
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Install a CE langauage May 24, 2005

Hello,

try to install a CE language or an east asian language (via keyboard settings). Windows will then install a larger version of the Arial font.

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unavailable fonts in Trados with PowerPoint: single-byte font?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs