Mobile menu

How do I translate this document if this is my first time and I have no previous tmw files?
Thread poster: Vanessa Rivera Rivier

Vanessa Rivera Rivier  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 15:05
Italian to English
+ ...
May 24, 2005

Hello everybody. I'm new to Trados and I have to translate a word document using it! I have no translation memory files nor do I have and idea how to get them, plus I don't have Multiterm to import or create tmw files. My question would be: How do I translate this document if this is my first time and I have no previous tmw files? I know my question is probably stupid, but I'm completely clueless!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-05-24 15:47]

Direct link Reply with quote

Lindsay Sabadosa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:05
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Trados Can't Do it All May 24, 2005

While I am in no way, shape or form a Trados expert, I do know that Trados merely memorizes what you translate; it does not offer translations on its own. The first time you use it, it may (if you're lucky) offer a word here or there from Multiterm but other than that it will just memorize what you plug in. If you have any full matches or partial matches (from what you have already entered), it will offer those as you work. My suggestion: check out the Trados tutorial. I loved it and it kind of gives you an idea of what to expect. Also, read through the manual. It's actually helpful and worth the half hour or so. Trados should become more useful the more you use it. Don't expect miracles the first time around. Good luck and have fun!!

Matt Baird
Germany
Local time: 21:05
German to English
Check out the tutorials May 24, 2005

I agree with LSabadosa. The tutorials are very helpful, especially if you learn better visually as I do.

As it appears your client did not supply any translation memory (TM) with the job, you will need to create a new translation memory. The tutorial will help you do that. This will be an empty file which you will add memory to once you start translating the job.

Also, if the client did not submit a customer-specific Multiterm glossary, then there is no need to worry about Multiterm for this job. You can create your own Multiterm glossary as you work more for this specific client, but normally I don't use Multiterm unless my client provides a Multiterm glossary or a glossary in Excel file format (.xls), which can be converted to a Multiterm glossary.

Good luck! Once you learn the program you will find it a very helpful tool for future translations.

Best,
Matt

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:05
Member (2004)
German to English
Let me send you a KISS from Germany May 24, 2005

Keep it simple!

Have you installed Trados - have u got funny red and blue arrows in your word? If not, u need to install it.
Open workbench, file menu, new and create a TM. Leave workbench open.
Go back to word and open your file. Click on the red bracket (left icon on the menu). Start translating. When you finish that sentence, go back to the menu bar and hover over each icon til u find the "Set/Close/Next/Open/Get" - click it and you move to the next sentence. Carry on like that through the document.

Make sure you are happy with each segment before moving onto the next one. There's a lot more to it than that - but that will get you moving in the right direction

Gillian

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:05
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Don't jump in at the deep end May 24, 2005

If your customer has not supplied a TM or an MT termbase, and you are not familiar with Trados, and then I would advise not using it at all for this job. This may sound like depressing, unhelpful advice, but the fact is that you will gain little at this stage, you will cut into the time you need for translating, and as with any complex product, it is possible to make silly mistakes in Trados (such as accidentally overwriting the segment marks) and until you know how to recover from such situations (use Fix document and/or Toggle Tag Protection) there is a small but finite risk of hitting a brick wall.

In short, as with any complex software, it is worth getting to know the system in the paddling pool before you jump in at the deep end. That's what I did when I started using Trados 3 years ago, and now I find the combination of my collection of (home-made) TMs, the Trados Concordancer and MultiTerm provide a huge productivity boost.

Dr. Janos Annus  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Problems but useful May 24, 2005

I agree all what has been said above, yet I think one has to start using Trados as soon as it is installed. I also have had problems, because I am also new to Trados.
Make sure you really installed TRADOS as well as Multiterm. They are downloaded as different setup (arghhhh, too complicated, unzip, save, setup.. etc..) self extracting .exe files. Also make sure you dowmloaded the turotial as well as the release notes. Then you can start palying with it. Really, you have to create your own TM MT files. You can learn it. What I do is that I keep the original source file untouched, then save it again (unde different name, say XXXwork.doc) as a work document, translate with TRADOS.. .. it is really easy going sentence (or whatever segment) by sentence.. Then save it as bilingual (say xxxENIT.doc ENIT meaning English and Italian) separate file, then run spellcheck, save again.. then clean it up and save it again as a sperate file (say xxxclean.doc). So every version of your files is kept separately, so you cannot mess it up irreparably. Its fun, a bit painful fun, but every time gets better. Now I have started the feeling of it, as a few times it offered already translated segments to use...

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
WinAlign May 24, 2005

In theory, you can use WinAlign to fill your TM. It is supposed to take orginal and translated files and align untranslated/translated segments (approximately sentences) from them. The you can export them as a txt file, which is ready to be imported into a TM. But unless you have a pair (or several pairs) of orginal/translated files with a very high chance of many segments identical with (or very similar to) the current job, the frustration is not worth the results.

The source of the frustration is that, unless you fine-tune the WinAlign's segmentation rules (and often even after that), you have to manually correct the automatic alignment of the segments, which tends to be rather unreliable.

If you have a customer who sends you a lot of similar files, you may decide to go this way. Otherwise, I would not do it.

Antonin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I translate this document if this is my first time and I have no previous tmw files?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs