Thread poster: Anna Ryden
Anna Ryden  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:07
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 25, 2005

Hello,

I finally decided to start using my Trados Freelance 6 that I installed a year (!) ago. After half a day of trying to import my tm from Wordfast (I have tried every single option and combination I could possibly think of as a newbie)I decided to move on and just start translating my new job.

So I open the tm I created in Workbench. Then I open word and the file and want to work on. And then I click the "open"-bracket, and nothing happens. The cursor just jumps down half a page. Why is this?

My second question is about MultiTerm. Of course I would like to set it up with Swedish as target language, but I can only choose German or Spanish or French or English. How do I add Swedish and Italian?

Best regards
Anna Ryden

Direct link Reply with quote

Ronnie Halpern  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:07
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Trados Multiterm May 25, 2005

You need to open your Termbase and then modify it using the Wizard. You will get to a window which offers you a list of languages, and Swedish is certainly among them.

It's impossible to answer your question about Workbench without knowing more about the file. If you want to discuss this by email outside this forum please get in touch.

I am looking into problems with Wordfast TM export files to Trados, so it's interesting to hear that you are also experiencing them.

Regards,

Ronnie Halpern

Anna Ryden  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved two out of three. May 25, 2005

Thanks so much for your answer!
I actually managed the part about MultiTerm after reading some more in the manual.
The other problem I had, with Workbench, is also solved. There was something wrong with the file. I had to copy every paragraph one by one into another file, and then it worked. The error message I got (not in the workbench windows, but in word) was "Protected Tag!" I still think it's a mystery, since the other two files in the same project are ok.
About importing my tm for this project from Wordfast: Workbench gives me the error message "5094 TUs read in 3 seconds: 0 updated, 0 added, 5094 invalid".
Well I guess I just have to type a lot this time

best regards
Anna Ryden

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Tag protection / language codes May 25, 2005

Hi Anna,
The error message I got (not in the workbench windows, but in word) was "Protected Tag!" I still think it's a mystery, since the other two files in the same project are ok.

Trados tags in Word are protected to prevent unintentionally damaging them. If you try to edit a tag, that's what you get.

About importing my tm for this project from Wordfast: Workbench gives me the error message "5094 TUs read in 3 seconds: 0 updated, 0 added, 5094 invalid".

Sounds like a language/locale inconsistency issue - check whether the language codes match exactly. What languages/locales does your TM involve? Assuming it's English to Swedish (based on your working language pair), could there be a discrepancy between US English (EN-US) and UK English (EN-GB)?

Cheers, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Newbie question on Simply Getting Started

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs