Story Collector for Quark & InDesign
Thread poster: Harmen Rijks
Harmen Rijks  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:01
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
May 25, 2005

Does anyone know where to find a download link for Story Collector for Quark and/or InDesign?

Loads of references to it but no actual link.

Can anyone help?

Direct link Reply with quote

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:01
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Part of Trados May 25, 2005

Trados comes with story collector extensions/add-ons, available for download on the Trados web site.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... May 25, 2005

...to Trados Support.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Link address? May 25, 2005

You wouldn't know the link address by any chance? I can't find it. I have Trados Freelance 6.5 and fail to see the 'included' StoryCollector. Any idea where to locate that?

I hope version 7 will streamline this odd collection of tools, programs and add-ons. I find it utterly confusing to work with. If only the manuals were clear.

Harmen Rijks wrote:

Does anyone know where to find a download link for Story Collector for Quark and/or InDesign?

Loads of references to it but no actual link.

Can anyone help?

Germany
English to German
+ ...
No separate download May 25, 2005

Hi Harmen
You wouldn't know the link address by any chance? I can't find it. I have Trados Freelance 6.5 and fail to see the 'included' StoryCollector. Any idea where to locate that?

There is no separate download - neither is the Story Collector integrated. That's because it's a Quark Xtension - an add-in you need to install in Quark, for example.

I hope version 7 will streamline this odd collection of tools, programs and add-ons.

How would you streamline an add-on to a third-party product, such as Quark or InDesign?

I find it utterly confusing to work with. If only the manuals were clear.

Have you looked at the workflow description for Quark XPress and InDesign files in the Trados File Formats Reference Guide (chapters 5 & 6)? Installation of the SC add-ins and the resulting workflows are described there.

HTH, Ralf

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Story Collector for Quark & InDesign May 25, 2005

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for your help.

Being a typical impatient PC user I tend to ignore manuals, especially when there are so many and information is scattered throughout all of them. As a novice to Trados I find it badly designed from an information design point of view.

The streamlining I mentioned has more to do with accessing the Trados information from one central point. As there are various programs that work together there are many manuals and trying to work out which one to use takes up too much time.

I'm used to starting a program and using it straight out of the box without too many problems. I have had to go back into the box too many times with Trados.

Regards

Harmen

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Harmen

There is no separate download - neither is the Story Collector integrated. That's because it's a Quark Xtension - an add-in you need to install in Quark, for example.

I hope version 7 will streamline this odd collection of tools, programs and add-ons.

How would you streamline an add-on to a third-party product, such as Quark or InDesign?

I find it utterly confusing to work with. If only the manuals were clear.

Have you looked at the workflow description for Quark XPress and InDesign files in the Trados File Formats Reference Guide (chapters 5 & 6)? Installation of the SC add-ins and the resulting workflows are described there.

HTH, Ralf

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Functionality vs. usability May 25, 2005

Hi again,
Being a typical impatient PC user I tend to ignore manuals, especially when there are so many and information is scattered throughout all of them. As a novice to Trados I find it badly designed from an information design point of view.

I agree that there's certainly room for improvement, however, I don't think one should try to use a professional tool without proper training. The wide range of functional features (and users keep asking for more, of course) simply means that professional introduction is essential. (Incidentally, I believe the same holds true for MS Word.)

The streamlining I mentioned has more to do with accessing the Trados information from one central point. As there are various programs that work together there are many manuals and trying to work out which one to use takes up too much time.

The File Formats Reference Guide is a pretty good starting point, IMO.

I'm used to starting a program and using it straight out of the box without too many problems. I have had to go back into the box too many times with Trados.

I invested in a one-day training at the very beginning, and rarely go 'back to the box'. Mind you, moderating this forum has also been a constant learning curve.

Best regards,
Ralf

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Thank you! May 25, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi again,

I agree that there's certainly room for improvement, however, I don't think one should try to use a professional tool without proper training. The wide range of functional features (and users keep asking for more, of course) simply means that professional introduction is essential. (Incidentally, I believe the same holds true for MS Word.)

Thank you, Ralf. I really think that needed to be said. Translating using a TMS (or even translating as such, for that matter) is NOT a piece-of-cake, easy-peasy, in-between-bites thing. It's a serious and complex business. I love this field of work and I think it should be as fun and easy as possible for a translator but it still is a serious job and should be viewed as such.

Regards,
Benjamin

(P.S.: This is a general statement which is not directed specifically and exclusively at the thread starter, of course.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Story Collector for Quark & InDesign

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs