Mobile menu

Building TM
Thread poster: Takako Whilden

Takako Whilden  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:14
English to Japanese
May 26, 2005

My client offered me XXX per source word to translate some files and XXX per hour to build the TM. I thought what I do to build a TM is simple as I create a new TM and just add memory to it once I start translating the job. I don't understand why my client offered me hourly rate in addition to the rate per word. My questions are; are there more things to do to build an TM other than I thought and is it supposed to take hours for me to do ?

Direct link Reply with quote

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:14
German to French
Alignment ? May 26, 2005

Hi,

Perhaps your client wants you to align previous translated files to create a TM and then translate new files using this very TM.
A client of mine who is not very familiar with Trados once asked me to do so in similar terms.

Simply ask him what he wants you to do!

Regards,
Sylvain

English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
That was what I thought too May 26, 2005

Sylvain Leray wrote:

Hi,

Perhaps your client wants you to align previous translated files to create a TM and then translate new files using this very TM.
A client of mine who is not very familiar with Trados once asked me to do so in similar terms.

Simply ask him what he wants you to do!

Regards,
Sylvain

Sylvain,
I asked my client and her answer was "You need only build the TM for the file I sent you ". There was no attachment of any previous translated files. I really don't know how to charge her.

Takako

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
German to French
Client not familiar with Trados May 26, 2005

Hi again Takako,

Well, then perhaps your client is not very familiar with Trados too. The client I mentioned above (an agency) spent an hour with me on the phone to understand how Trados and "building TMs" work... I had to explain that the TM was created during the translation, and that it required no additional work from me.

I don't see any other possibility... ask her once again what she expects from you, and tell her that building a TM is not an additional work.

HTH,
Sylvain

English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ! May 26, 2005

I will do that then.

Takako

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 11:14
German to English
Another possibility May 26, 2005

If the client is not familiar with Trados, he/she may be referring to a glossary or Termbase (MultiTerm) for the project. That would take some time.
Kevin

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Additional service May 26, 2005

Sylvain Leray wrote:

I don't see any other possibility... ask her once again what she expects from you, and tell her that building a TM is not an additional work.

HTH,
Sylvain

But it is an additional service and has to be renumerated one way or the other.

Regards,
Gerard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Building TM

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs