How to make an export for MT 5 from MT 6.5?
Thread poster: Johanne
Johanne
Local time: 02:53
English to German
+ ...
Jun 2, 2005

Hello everyone,
I have been trying to make an export of our MultiTerm 6.5 database for a MultiTerm 5 database. I have used the preset definition "MultiTerm 5 export definition", but I keep getting xml.files, which I cannot import into MT 5. Am I missing a step? Do I need to convert it into txt? Has anyone done this successfully?
Any suggestions?
I will be glad for any thanks
Johanne

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Save it as .txt Jun 2, 2005

Hi Johanne,
Simply save the export file as .txt - the dialogue will allow you to do it (to be precise, it should provide this as a default...).

HTH, Ralf

Johanne
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 2, 2005

very much. I'll try that!
Johanne

Johanne
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked Jun 2, 2005

I tried saving it as .txt and it worked. Thanks a lot.

But now I cannot import it. When I look at the export in word, only the source and the target languages I had set in MT 6.5 (6.2.0.287) have been exported, but not any of the other languages.

Do I need to prepare a new export definition for this purpose?

I need to export the entire database and be able to import it to MT5 (5.0.1.220). The definitions of the termbases should be the same as we imported everything from 5 to 6.5 just a few months ago and did not make any changes to the termbase definition (other than those we had to - not attaching attribute fiels to text fields, etc.)

Any suggestions? Can I also simply save the export file in .txt when I use a different export definition, such as the "Default export definition" which lets me make a back-up?

Thanks again for your help. I have read the manuals and help pages but it did not really help me.

Thanks
Johanne

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Need to tweak the export text file Jun 2, 2005

Hi again,
But now I cannot import it. When I look at the export in word, only the source and the target languages I had set in MT 6.5 (6.2.0.287) have been exported, but not any of the other languages.

Do I need to prepare a new export definition for this purpose?

You may have to - my own termbase only contains German and English, so I cannot contribute own experience here.

Any suggestions? Can I also simply save the export file in .txt when I use a different export definition, such as the "Default export definition" which lets me make a back-up?

Nope - although in substance, XML files are text, the structure differs considerably.

Have a look at the export file; my hunch is that the language codes don't match; you may have to tweak the export using search and replace.

Best, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make an export for MT 5 from MT 6.5?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs