Nathalie YOUNG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:56
Member (2004)
German to French
+ ...
Jun 7, 2005

Hi,

I need to use Tag Editor from Trados Freelance 6.5 for the first time for a translation, but I don't know how to use it and can not find a user manual anywhere. Would you have a few tips or could you tell me where to find it. It is quite urgent.

Many thqnks for your help

Kind regards

Nathalie

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-08 13:49]

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:56
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
There is a Demo in your Trados folder Jun 7, 2005

Have you looked at Translation Zone? There you can download demos. tutorials etc.
First start Workbench, load the TM and filters and then you start TagEditor. Just load the file to translate and click at the Get segment-panel. There are shortcuts too, mostly like those in Word.
You can chose the size of the character display (150 % suits me) and toggle the tags.
Its not so difficult after all.
Regards
Heinrich

France
Member (2004)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can not find the "get segment panel" Jun 7, 2005

Hello Heinrich,

Many thanks for your reply. I have loaded the document but how can I start translating the text, it would not let me change anything. There must be something I forgot to open.

Nathalie

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Open/get Jun 7, 2005

There is this icon with a "(" and an arrow down. Click on it. If it does not work I don't know what's wrong. Sorry!

France
Member (2004)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's working now Jun 7, 2005

Heinrich,

It's working now. Thanks. One last question, how can I keep the tags in the target text exactly as the source text ? Is there a way to copy or insert them ?

Thanks

Have a nice evening

Nathalie

Alejandra Villarroel  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 21:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Tag Protection is exactly what Tag Editor is about! Jun 7, 2005

I do not know what version of Trados you are using, but just make sure that you won't accidentally press the padlock icon. As long as this is active, all your tags will be protected.
If you need to change tag location in your target sentence due to grammar considerations, you can always copy & paste.

Regards, ALEJANDRA

Nathalie YOUNG wrote:

Heinrich,

It's working now. Thanks. One last question, how can I keep the tags in the target text exactly as the source text ? Is there a way to copy or insert them ?

Thanks

Have a nice evening

Nathalie

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Tags = placeables Jun 7, 2005

Hi Nathalie,
One last question, how can I keep the tags in the target text exactly as the source text ? Is there a way to copy or insert them ?

To answer your question, TagEditor treats tags as "placeables" - use the corresponding buttons (the ones marked with a blue line)or shortcuts available.

On a general note, working with tagged formats requires some understanding what these tags are about, in order to place them correctly - putting them exactly in the same place doesn't necessarily mean they're in the right place.

Best regards,
Ralf

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Press Alt + Ins Jun 8, 2005

this will put the source segment as target segment. this is the easiest way to make sure all tags are there. Translate the text around the tags. Unnecessary tags you drag to the end of the segment, then TagEditor will not protest when closing the segment.

France
Member (2004)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 8, 2005

Thanks to all of you for your answers, they were really helpful.

Kind regards

Nathalie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a Tag Editor users guide

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs