Joris Bogaert
Joris Bogaert  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:22
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 8, 2005

Hello,

I'll try to explain my problem (seems a bit difficult)

1. I have to translate some marked senteces in a word document. I opened my old TM (IT-NL) and I started the job. But I would like to know how I wll be able to easely count the 'source' words for my client... Do I have to 'cut' and 'paste' every marked section into a new document in order to get the total wordcount?

2. When I translate, I see that my 'source' translation (the sentece to translate
... See more
Hello,

1. I have to translate some marked senteces in a word document. I opened my old TM (IT-NL) and I started the job. But I would like to know how I wll be able to easely count the 'source' words for my client... Do I have to 'cut' and 'paste' every marked section into a new document in order to get the total wordcount?

2. When I translate, I see that my 'source' translation (the sentece to translate) does NOT disappear from the document. Is this just a display function? How can I turn it of?? I only want to see my target translation.
Collapse

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Some answers... Jun 8, 2005

Ad 1: You don't say how the text is marked, but here's an idea; Make a copy of the document. In the copy, delete the text not to be translated using the Search and replace feature in Word. It should be possible depending on your version. Then count the words.

Ad 2: Trados keeps the source text on purpose, but makes it hidden (dotted line under the text). That way you can always see the source text together with your translation. You can toggle the display of hidden text by hitting t
... See more
Ad 1: You don't say how the text is marked, but here's an idea; Make a copy of the document. In the copy, delete the text not to be translated using the Search and replace feature in Word. It should be possible depending on your version. Then count the words.

Ad 2: Trados keeps the source text on purpose, but makes it hidden (dotted line under the text). That way you can always see the source text together with your translation. You can toggle the display of hidden text by hitting the "inverted P" on the default toolbar in Word. However, it's is usually recommended to show hidden text during translation, since you can easily and unintentionally delete Trados codes, which will lead to problems later on.

Jørgen

Joris Bogaert wrote:

Hello,

2. When I translate, I see that my 'source' translation (the sentece to translate) does NOT disappear from the document. Is this just a display function? How can I turn it of?? I only want to see my target translation.
Collapse

Joris Bogaert
Italy
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Partial wordcount within Word 2003 Jun 8, 2005

Thanks for your quick reply, I need to specify some things:

The text is yellow-marked. The rest has already been translated as I work for the same client on the same file. I'm not an expert Trados-user, so I can only say what I see: the whole text (and the yellow marked segments) are in the source language (italian), although it has already been translated. So far ok, but I still don't understand how to proceed with wordcount for the yellow-marked source segments......
See more

The text is yellow-marked. The rest has already been translated as I work for the same client on the same file. I'm not an expert Trados-user, so I can only say what I see: the whole text (and the yellow marked segments) are in the source language (italian), although it has already been translated. So far ok, but I still don't understand how to proceed with wordcount for the yellow-marked source segments...

Thank you very muc for your help!!
Collapse

Tekkie (X)
Tekkie (X)
English to German
+ ...
It's very easy Jun 8, 2005

Joris Bogaert wrote:

So far ok, but I still don't understand how to proceed with wordcount for the yellow-marked source segments...

Just use Word's Search & Replace function to replace everything NOT being highlighted in a copy of your file by nothing, and only the highlighted text will remain in this file.

[Edited at 2005-06-09 01:13]

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Suggestion... Jun 8, 2005

If you want to, send me the file and I can take a look at it, and hopefully find a solution. It is easier (and quicker) to help, if I have the file.

Jørgen

Joris Bogaert wrote:

The text is yellow-marked. The rest has already been translated as I work for the same client on the same file. I'm not an expert Trados-user, so I can only say what I see: the whole text (and the yellow marked segments) are in the source language (italian), although it has already been translated. So far ok, but I still don't understand how to proceed with wordcount for the yellow-marked source segments...

Thank you very muc for your help!!

PractiCount Toolbar Jun 9, 2005

Hi Joris,

Word count of marked text only can be easily done with PractiCount Toolbar Professional for MS Office (http://practiline.com/download/PCToolbarPro.exe). Just specify the color of the text for counting in Settings (it is possible also to count only text in specific font, font size, font style - bold, italic etc.).

Maxim Siefer
Practiline Software<
... See more
Hi Joris,

Word count of marked text only can be easily done with PractiCount Toolbar Professional for MS Office (http://practiline.com/download/PCToolbarPro.exe). Just specify the color of the text for counting in Settings (it is possible also to count only text in specific font, font size, font style - bold, italic etc.).

Maxim Siefer
Practiline Software
http://www.practiline.com
Collapse

Joris Bogaert
Italy
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 9, 2005

Thank you very much everybody, I think I'm out of trouble now as I can manage it on my own.

Thnaks!!

Good work!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordcount in a document of a partial translation & Getting rid of "source" text

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »