Trados Workbench: Numbers in word table are not offered in a segment
Thread poster: Sina Lamprecht

Sina Lamprecht
Germany
Local time: 18:43
English to German
Jun 9, 2005

I am using Workbench 6.5 and Word, and I am translating a word-document with tables. In one column there are words, in the other numbers only. The words are opened in a segment, the numbers cannot be opened in a segment, even though they need to be changed.
Can anyone help me with that?
Thanks a lot.

Sina

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Automatic numbering? Jun 9, 2005

Hi Sina,
If the numbering is automatic (using the Word function), you cannot access the numbers because these are controlled automatically. (Why would they need to be changed, BTW?)

Note that I moved your topic to the Trados Support forum.

Best, Ralf

Annamaria Leone  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 17:43
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Variables Jun 9, 2005

Hi Sina,
I think that this is due to variables.
I'm not very expert on this topic but I experimented it (not for numbers) just a few days ago.

I paste below the relevant topic of the Trados Help.

Use the Substitutions tab to define certain elements such as numbers, dates and acronyms as variables rather than normal words in Translator's Workbench.
Variable elements do not change in translation. Translator's Workbench recognises designated variables and treats them as non-translatable or placeable elements during translation. Variables can either be transferred directly from the current source segment to the new target segment or localised according to the conventions of the target language. If the current source segment is the same as a source segment from translation memory apart from its variable elements, Translator's Workbench produces a 100% match.

The Automatic substitutions group box lists all pre-defined variable elements, including Numbers, Acronyms, Dates, Time and Measurements. The last item in the group box, Variables, allows you to supply Translator's Workbench with a customised list of variables. The variable list is created and modified in Notepad and stored internally in the translation memory. You can view the list of variables that are currently specified for the translation memory in the Variable list box. The list can be modified at any time.

To define variable elements:

1. Select the appropriate variable element(s) from the Automatic substitutions list.

2. If you have selected Variables, check the list of variables that are currently specified for the translation memory in the Variable list box. Click Edit under the Variable list box to open Notepad where you can create or modify the variable list

3. Click OK to confirm your selection and to save any changes that you made to the variable list.

To adapt the format of the selected items to suit the target language of your translation, use the settings that are available on the Substitution Localisation tab (
Translation Memory Options dialog box). The elements that you leave unselected are treateHope this helpsd as normal, translatable words.

Taken From: Translator's Workbench Help, (c) 2004 TRADOS Incorporated.

Hope this helps,
Regards,

Annamaria

[Edited at 2005-06-09 10:39]

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Numbers Jun 9, 2005

Numbers are skipped, it's a default behaviour of Trados. You have to change them manually (decimal point do decimal comma, for example).

Annamaria Leone  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 17:43
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
I think that you can change the default Jun 9, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Numbers are skipped, it's a default behaviour of Trados. You have to change them manually (decimal point do decimal comma, for example).

I think that you can change the default setting, changing variables.

Regards,

Annamaria

Christian Werner-Meier  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Embed the Numbers Jun 9, 2005

Suppose you have the numbers in one columns say

1 | sourcetext1
2 | sourcetext2
3 | sourcetext3
2 | sourcetext4
1 | sourcetext5

Suppose, you need to translate the numbers to characters

a | targettext1
b | targettext2
c | targettext3
b | targettext4
a | targettext5

Wrap the numbers into some text. Select the numbers column, and replace with pattern matching:
Search: ([0-9]@)
Replace: begintemp\1endtemp

Then in Trados you disable the automatic numbering substitution, that's it.

Sina Lamprecht
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot for your help Jun 9, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Sina,
If the numbering is automatic (using the Word function), you cannot access the numbers because these are controlled automatically. (Why would they need to be changed, BTW?)

Note that I moved your topic to the Trados Support forum.

Best, Ralf

Hi Ralf,

thanks for moving my topic to the correct forum.
The numbers do not have to be changed but the punctuation.
But thanks anyway for your help.

Sina

Sina Lamprecht
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I cannot change the Substitution Localisation tab Jun 9, 2005

Annamaria Leone wrote:

Hi Sina,
I think that this is due to variables.
I'm not very expert on this topic but I experimented it (not for numbers) just a few days ago.

I paste below the relevant topic of the Trados Help.

Use the Substitutions tab to define certain elements such as numbers, dates and acronyms as variables rather than normal words in Translator's Workbench.
Variable elements do not change in translation. Translator's Workbench recognises designated variables and treats them as non-translatable or placeable elements during translation. Variables can either be transferred directly from the current source segment to the new target segment or localised according to the conventions of the target language. If the current source segment is the same as a source segment from translation memory apart from its variable elements, Translator's Workbench produces a 100% match.

The Automatic substitutions group box lists all pre-defined variable elements, including Numbers, Acronyms, Dates, Time and Measurements. The last item in the group box, Variables, allows you to supply Translator's Workbench with a customised list of variables. The variable list is created and modified in Notepad and stored internally in the translation memory. You can view the list of variables that are currently specified for the translation memory in the Variable list box. The list can be modified at any time.

To define variable elements:

1. Select the appropriate variable element(s) from the Automatic substitutions list.

2. If you have selected Variables, check the list of variables that are currently specified for the translation memory in the Variable list box. Click Edit under the Variable list box to open Notepad where you can create or modify the variable list

3. Click OK to confirm your selection and to save any changes that you made to the variable list.

To adapt the format of the selected items to suit the target language of your translation, use the settings that are available on the Substitution Localisation tab (
Translation Memory Options dialog box). The elements that you leave unselected are treateHope this helpsd as normal, translatable words.

Taken From: Translator's Workbench Help, (c) 2004 TRADOS Incorporated.

Hope this helps,
Regards,

Annamaria

Hi Annamaria,

thanks a bunch for your extensive reply on my post.
I have just tried to change the settings in terms of the Substitution tab, but I am not allowed to do that (numbers can´t be clicked on) This is probably because I am using a server-based version and this is a pre-setting.
Do you have another idea?

Regards,
Sina

[Edited at 2005-06-09 10:39]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Workbench: Numbers in word table are not offered in a segment

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs