Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Panic!!! After a crash I lost all the work I did today!
Thread poster: Veronica Ovadia (X)
Veronica Ovadia (X)
Veronica Ovadia (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:21
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 13, 2005

Dear All,

I'm working with TRADOS 5.5 Freelance, Windows XP, Office 2003.
After a PC crash I lost all the work I translated today with Tag Editor. When I open the file translated, my memory shows nothing. I tried to reorganise my TM as a solution posted on this forum, but the memory still does not show my translation.
I'm very frustrated and I would like to know if someone can offer me another solution.

Thanks in advance,

Veronica.

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 17:21
German to English
+ ...
Look for TMW files Jun 13, 2005

Hello,

maybe you have used another Memory. Search for other tmw files on your pc and check if there is a newer version of your memory

Hans

Veronica Ovadia (X)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but I've searched and this is the only one :( Jun 13, 2005

DSC wrote:

Hello,

maybe you have used another Memory. Search for other tmw files on your pc and check if there is a newer version of your memory

Hans

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:21
English to German
+ ...
Export the TM into a text file ? Jun 13, 2005

I consider this to be the safest way to check its actual contents.
HTH,
Harry

Veronica Ovadia (X)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I also tried this and I did not find my translation. :( Jun 13, 2005

Harry_B wrote:

I consider this to be the safest way to check its actual contents.
HTH,
Harry

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Usually the TM is updated every time you close a segment Jun 13, 2005

Look when the TM-file has been modified last. You can try to locate it with the Find function, search for files updated last 10 hours or so.

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 11:21
English to German
+ ...
cant you find the translation in your computer Jun 13, 2005

programm / run / type in %temp%

or under search. Maybe to simple! Sorry you go through this disaster. Couldn´t a recovery program help. There are trial versions which you could use. Or call the Trados office in your nearest area. I know mine was very helpful the last time I had problems.

I hope it works out for you!!!

Tekkie (X)
Tekkie (X)
English to German
+ ...
Does TagEditor contain any translated segments? Jun 13, 2005

After a PC crash I lost all the work I translated today with Tag Editor. When I open the file translated, my memory shows nothing.

If you have stored the TagEditor file (.ttx file) at least once, this file should contain the segments translated so far, even if the TM was not updated, was deleted, or was corrupted.

In this case, you can run TagEditor "until next 100% match" (or similar) to automatically update the TM.

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Type of crash Jun 13, 2005

Hello,

maybe you can tell us something more about the type of crash and of your actions after the crash

Hans

Veronica Ovadia (X)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windows Restart Jun 13, 2005

DSC wrote:

Hello,

maybe you can tell us something more about the type of crash and of your actions after the crash

Hans

Alvin Liu
Alvin Liu  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:21
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I think your data is lost. Jun 14, 2005

I had such a miserable experience before due to an accident power off.
As fas as I know, using tageditor is different from using Trados in word, and if you did not close the segment and save the document, all you have done before save is not stored into memory.

Veronica Ovadia (X)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all but I tried all the solutions posted and I think Alvin is right. :( Jun 14, 2005

Alvin Liu wrote:

I had such a miserable experience before due to an accident power off.
As fas as I know, using tageditor is different from using Trados in word, and if you did not close the segment and save the document, all you have done before save is not stored into memory.

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TagEditor <--> Word Jun 14, 2005

Hello,

tehere is no really diefference in working with Trados Workbench between this two programs.

The problem can be caused in a strange behavior of Windows. Sometimes it seems possible, that Windows don't save changed files to the hard disk. They are onla saved in the cache. If then Windows crashes all changes are lost. But i don't beleave, that the cache isn't written to harddisk on a whole day.

Another possibility can occur, if the data will be stored i
... See more
Hello,

tehere is no really diefference in working with Trados Workbench between this two programs.

The problem can be caused in a strange behavior of Windows. Sometimes it seems possible, that Windows don't save changed files to the hard disk. They are onla saved in the cache. If then Windows crashes all changes are lost. But i don't beleave, that the cache isn't written to harddisk on a whole day.

Another possibility can occur, if the data will be stored in the local profile path. If system crashes Windows sometimes create a new profile path. In this case it can be possible to check the other profile pathes on the disk. Therefor you need administrator rights on your system.

With kind regards

Hans
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:21
Member (2004)
English to Italian
my experience... Jun 14, 2005

I had a similar experience once. Powercut... restart the computer, open TagEditor + Workbench and nothing in the memory! I don't believe TagEdior saves the text everytime you close a segment. You have to save the file manually after you close the segment. If you do that, then the memory is updated. If you never saved the file that way, as far as I can tell, you've lost all your work. But I hope I'm wrong.

Giovanni

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not quite... Jun 14, 2005

Hi Giovanni,
I had a similar experience once. Powercut... restart the computer, open TagEditor + Workbench and nothing in the memory!

If you have a power cut right at the moment when TW writes into the database, it's possible that the database may become corrupt. If you're lucky, it's just the index file... (That's why a UPS is not just a 'nice-to-have'.)

However...
I don't believe TagEdior saves the text everytime you close a segment.

TagEditor doesn't - Workbench does. If the TTX file isn't saved, the work in the file will be gone, but it should still be in the TM - unless (as discussed above), something else happened to the database.

Best regards,
Ralf

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Panic!!! After a crash I lost all the work I did today!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »