https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/33335-field_codes_keep_reappearing.html

Field codes keep reappearing
Thread poster: Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:42
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Jun 13, 2005

This minor issue really bugs me. When using Trados, I keep unchecking the "field codes" box in MS Word options, because I want to see everything as it should be displayed. But after a short while, my documents all revert back to including the field codes (and this is without closing and reopening Word).

The Field Codes appear to be on by default, and keep reappearing, even after I uncheck the Field Codes option box. Does anyone know how to permanently keep the field codes from showi
... See more
This minor issue really bugs me. When using Trados, I keep unchecking the "field codes" box in MS Word options, because I want to see everything as it should be displayed. But after a short while, my documents all revert back to including the field codes (and this is without closing and reopening Word).

The Field Codes appear to be on by default, and keep reappearing, even after I uncheck the Field Codes option box. Does anyone know how to permanently keep the field codes from showing?
Collapse

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:42
German to Croatian
+ ...
A suggestion Jun 13, 2005

Hello!

I would suggest to uncheck the field codes box and then CLOSE MS Word. After restarting the programme, field codes should not appear any more.

BR,

Vesna

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Normal mode? Jun 13, 2005

Maybe this behavior is due to the fact that you are in Page mode. Switching to Normal mode in the View menu of Word may solve the problem.
Philippe

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Another suggestion... Jun 13, 2005

I'm not sure it works, but my guess is you're working in Print Layout. Try shifting to Normal view. As far as I remember, this prevents the field codes from reappearing.

Jørgen

[Edited at 2005-06-27 20:27]

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:42
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Page/print view Jun 16, 2005

Yep - that did it. A shame that happens, because I prefer using page/print view rather than normal. I'll just chalk that up as another gripe against Microsoft then.

Thanks for your help, everybody.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Field codes keep reappearing

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »