Mobile menu

TM and Tageditor
Thread poster: Takako Whilden

Takako Whilden  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:23
English to Japanese
Jun 14, 2005

I got a TM from my client and source files in rtf. When I open the TM and files to translate, I get a message saying " The open translation memory has different languages than the document. Interaction with TW will be disabled until a matching TM is opened." and all of the Japanese characters are garbage (square symbols). The language pair of TM (English US to Japanese)is correct though. Itis also happening to my client. What can be causing this and how can I fix it ?

Trados (build 439)
Windows SP

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:23
English to German
+ ...
Save as TTX and check the language settings Jun 14, 2005

Hi Takako,
Here's something you may want to try:

Save the file as TTX, then close it and open the TTX file in a text editor. Search for SourceLanguage and TargetLanguage and check the languages displayed there against your TM.

HTH, Ralf

Takako Whilden  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:23
English to Japanese
Another solution Jun 14, 2005

I found another solution. I exported the TM and imported to a new TM. It solved the problem. Thank you for the suggestion though.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM and Tageditor

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs