Source Text Vanishes After Closing TU
Thread poster: Moofi

Moofi  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:56
Polish to English
+ ...
Jun 14, 2005

Hi all, I recently had a hard drive failure and had to restore everything on to a new drive from images.

All my Trados and MT options got buggered in the process, but after re-installing the software again and tinkering with it, I've managed to get most things back the way they were. With one exception:

After I've entered my translation and I click 'Set/Close Next open/get', the next source and target fields appear, but the source text that I just translated dissapears, leaving only the translation! I got used to having everything on the screen at once, complete with all those nasty little purple tags etc, and it's driving me nuts trying to figure out how to 'switch' back to the 'old' way.

For the record:

Win XP SP2, Office 2003, Trados 6.5, MT whatever-came-bundled-with-T6.5F... (I would give detailed, head-hurting version numbers, but I've lost the Trados drop-down menus from Word too )

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Hidden text settings in Word Jun 14, 2005

Hi Moofi,
After I've entered my translation and I click 'Set/Close Next open/get', the next source and target fields appear, but the source text that I just translated dissapears, leaving only the translation! I got used to having everything on the screen at once, complete with all those nasty little purple tags etc, and it's driving me nuts trying to figure out how to 'switch' back to the 'old' way.

Not a Trados setting, but a standard Word function - just activate hidden text. (If you're unfamiliar with that, search this forum or the Trados KB for 'hidden text'.

For the record:

Win XP SP2, Office 2003, Trados 6.5, MT whatever-came-bundled-with-T6.5F... (I would give detailed, head-hurting version numbers, but I've lost the Trados drop-down menus from Word too )

The version numbers (which are actually quite useful in trying to detect the source of a problem...) aren't found in Word, but in each Trados application (Help - About...).

Regarding the missing toolbar, you will need to activate trados6.dot - again, search the forum or the Trados KB for 'toolbar'.

Best regards,
Ralf

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just an idea Jun 14, 2005

Perhaps it´s naive on my part to offer this, but are you working with the option "show hidden text" from Word/Tools??
HIH
Best,
Haydee

Moofi  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hit/Nail/Head/Thanks! Jun 14, 2005

Ah! Yes, I thought there was something about Show/Hide hidden text, I forgot it was a Word option though

As for the version numbers, yes, I would give them (and usually do), but as I say I seem to have lost the Trados drop-down that gives this info. Ah well, never mind, I'm just glad that I've got the hidden text back again!

Many thanks all, greatly appreciated.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source Text Vanishes After Closing TU

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs