Thread poster: IanW (X)
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 14:09
German to English
+ ...
Jun 16, 2005

Dear all,

I work with Trados 6.5.5.438 running on Windows XP.

Personally, I am very happy with the new(ish) option of using Tag Editor for PowerPoint files. However, with one particular customer's PPTs, when I save the bilingual file back as a PPT, the font sizes all become smaller. It's not the end of the world most of the time, but with 200-slide jobs, it's about an hour's unnecessary work.

Does anyone know why this is so and if there is any way around th
... See more
Dear all,

I work with Trados 6.5.5.438 running on Windows XP.

Personally, I am very happy with the new(ish) option of using Tag Editor for PowerPoint files. However, with one particular customer's PPTs, when I save the bilingual file back as a PPT, the font sizes all become smaller. It's not the end of the world most of the time, but with 200-slide jobs, it's about an hour's unnecessary work.

Does anyone know why this is so and if there is any way around this?

Many thanks

Ian
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Don´t worry, it is only in TAGEditor Jun 16, 2005

This happens only in TAG Editor, when you start to write wothout having marked at least one of the previously formatted characters. I cannot explain it better, but I have seen this behaviour many times. As long the TAGs are positioned right, nothing happens, as PPT does not see the formatting of TAG Editor, which is for view purposes only.

Regards
Jerzy

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
They do become smaller in the PPT file Jun 16, 2005

Hi Ian and Jerzy,

Yes, you're right, Ian, it happens sometimes that the font sizes are smaller in the translated PPT... and I found it quite good for me, since I often have to modify the font size in the French files and/or to modifiy the size of the text boxes to keep the formatting "clean".
I think that TagEditor sometimes automatically downsizes the fonts for the text to match the text box.
But I don't know how to avoid this, sorry.

Sylvain

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jerzy Jun 16, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

This happens only in TAG Editor, when you start to write wothout having marked at least one of the previously formatted characters. I cannot explain it better, but I have seen this behaviour many times. As long the TAGs are positioned right, nothing happens, as PPT does not see the formatting of TAG Editor, which is for view purposes only.

Regards
Jerzy

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks for your explanation, but I'm not really sure what you mean: I haven't changed the tags at all. Feel free to explain it in German if it's easier.

Thanks

Ian

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
PPT rather than TE function? Jun 16, 2005

Hi Sylvain,

I think that TagEditor sometimes automatically downsizes the fonts for the text to match the text box.

I would expect that to be a PowerPoint function rather than anything in TagEditor.

Best, Ralf

Sylvain Leray
Member (2003)
German to French
Maybe Jun 16, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Sylvain,

I would expect that to be a PowerPoint function rather than anything in TagEditor.

Best, Ralf

Hi Ralf,

You are surely right, but I found it quite strange that the fonts become smaller after the conversion ttx -> ppt, so I supposed it was some kind of magic function of TagEditor
Though I can not see any reason why and any mean how PowerPoint would reduce the font size automatically... is there such a function in the program?

Thanks,
Sylvain

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Explanation Jun 16, 2005

What I mean is that TAG Editor resizes the fonts only in your view, but the font size in the final PPT file remains the same.

This means that no changes are made regarding font size in the target file. TAG Editor does not resize fonts to match to small boxes in PPT.
TAG Editor shows only parts of formatting when translating and it happens sometimes, that the formatting is shown wrong.
Try to save the target file and check in PPT - the fonts should be as they are. At leas
... See more
What I mean is that TAG Editor resizes the fonts only in your view, but the font size in the final PPT file remains the same.

This means that no changes are made regarding font size in the target file. TAG Editor does not resize fonts to match to small boxes in PPT.
TAG Editor shows only parts of formatting when translating and it happens sometimes, that the formatting is shown wrong.
Try to save the target file and check in PPT - the fonts should be as they are. At least this was allways the case with my files.

Try the following in Word: write a sentence and format only ONE word bold. Go to the beginning of the sentence and start to move the cursor letter by letter with ther right arrow key. When you arrive at the FIRST letter of the bold word and press any letter, it will come NOT BOLD! Move the cursor further to the last letter of your bold word. When you press a letter now, it will be bold. Go two or three characters further, and then move the cursor back with the left arrow. When you now arrive at the last bold letter and press any letter, it will again be NOT BOLD! This is quite simple - you achieved the TAG for bold, but you are behind it. Comming from the other side you are before the TAG. The same happens in TAG Editor...

Sorry, I can't get it better in written, I would need to show what I mean to get it finally clear. Maybe during the Powwoww in Duesseldorf in Autumn?

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jerzy Jun 16, 2005

Thanks Jerzy,

I see what you mean now, but the problem is that the fonts are messed up in my PPT - it doesn't just happen in TagEditor.

If I haven't sorted it out by then, I'll see you with my laptop in Düsseldorf in October ...

All the best

Ian

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Autoformatting of text Jun 16, 2005

Hi again,
fonts become smaller after the conversion ttx -> ppt, so I supposed it was some kind of magic function of TagEditor
Though I can not see any reason why and any mean how PowerPoint would reduce the font size automatically... is there such a function in the program?

Yes - in PPT XP, this is part of the AutoCorrect options. Which PPT version are you using?

Best, Ralf

Sylvain Leray
Member (2003)
German to French
2002 Jun 16, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi again,
fonts become smaller after the conversion ttx -> ppt, so I supposed it was some kind of magic function of TagEditor

Yes - in PPT XP, this is part of the AutoCorrect options. Which PPT version are you using?

Best, Ralf

Thanks for the info, I use version 2002 (the same as XP, I assume).

Regards,
Sylvain

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Office XP = Office 10 = Office 2002 Jun 16, 2005

I use version 2002 (the same as XP, I assume).

Correct, that's the same version. You may want to deactivate the auto-settings under Tools - AutoCorrect.

(Bear in mind that you might then be faced with an overflow, due to extended text length in the target language.)

HTH, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor: Font sizes going haywire

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »