Exact definition of TRADOS repetition
Thread poster: Todd Field

Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:50
Member (2003)
Portuguese to English
Jun 19, 2005

I'm posting this here because I'm having trouble finding this information anywhere in the TRADOS user manuals.

My question: what is the exact definition of a TRADOS repetition?

In other words, if my TRADOS analysis says a file has 10,000 new words and 5,000 repetitions, does this mean:

1) I have only 10,000 new words to translate, since 5,000 are literal repetitions of the first subset of 10,000

2) I actually have more than 10,000 new words to translate, since the 5,000 are repetitions of each other in some combination (i.e. maybe 2,500 repeated by the other 2,500)

Hope this question makes sense. This is one of those mathematical brain teasers that has been driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Todd

Direct link Reply with quote

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:50
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
Simple ;-) Jun 19, 2005

You have 10.000 new words AND 5000 that are repeated.
So you will need to translate 10.000 and to "edit" 5000.

Take a look at http://www.catcount.com/ for more information.

Rgds

Toledo

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Repetitions Jun 19, 2005

I believe 1) is correct.

Alvin Liu  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:50
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
1 is right Jun 20, 2005

During analysis, Translator's Workbench reads the text(s) segment by segment to determine the corresponding match value. The Analyse feature searches your translation memory for identical or similar segments as well as any XTranslated Units that were inserted during XTranslation. Translator's Workbench also examines the text for repetitions during the same Analyse run. The first occurrence of a segment with no match in translation memory is interpreted as a no match; the second occurrence of the same segment is counted as a repetition. A repetition is different from a 100% match in so far as it is defined in relation to an identical no match segment: once the corresponding no match segment has been translated, the new translation is applied automatically to successive instances ?repetitions ?of the segment in the same translation project.

Taken From: Translator's Workbench Help, (c) 2004 TRADOS Incorporated.

xxxOlaf
English to German
See http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=482 Jun 20, 2005

Todd and Monica Field wrote:

I'm posting this here because I'm having trouble finding this information anywhere in the TRADOS user manuals.

My question: what is the exact definition of a TRADOS repetition?

In other words, if my TRADOS analysis says a file has 10,000 new words and 5,000 repetitions

[/quote]

Repetitions can be both repetions of "fuzzy matches" and repetitions of "no matches." (Trados doesn't distinguish between the quality of the match that was repeated.) Also note that Trados counts repetions based on all files that are being analyzed. This means that you'll get a different number of repetitions, if you analyze a file separately or as part of a batch.
This means that you'll have to translate 10000 new words and 5000 repetions of either new matches or fuzzy matches.

[Edited at 2005-06-21 12:38]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exact definition of TRADOS repetition

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs