Getting started with Trados - what is a .mtw file?
Thread poster: Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:44
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 20, 2005

Hello, I`m new here and I`ve just downloaded a demo version of Trados 6.5. I tried to follow the tutorial but when I come to opening the Terminology Provider I can`t find any *.mtw file. Is this part of another program? I couldn`t find the answer in Trados` web site. Thanks so much in advance
Marina Soldati

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-20 03:00]

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:44
German to English
You need to create your own translation memory file Jun 20, 2005

Please see Ralf's comment.

[Edited at 2005-06-20 12:30]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:44
English to German
+ ...
Correction, if I may... Jun 20, 2005

Sorry, Kevin...
Kevin Fulton wrote:

In Workbench, under "File" "New" create your first TM file. Follow the prompts (for source/target languages), then you'll have the components for the translation memory, including the .mtw file.

...but .mtw is the legacy file format used by MultiTerm 5.x - Workbench translation memories have a .tmw extension.

To answer Marina's question, the demo download does not include MultiTerm, Trados' terminology management application. Simply deactivate term recognition (Options - Term Recognition).

Best regards,
Ralf

Marina Soldati
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Getting started with Trados. Help please? Jun 20, 2005

Thanks both. I`ve already done what Kevin suggested and I created my own term base, but when I try to use that term base to recognize words in another translation there appears an error message (I can`t remember the number now) and it says that Multiterm in not functioning. The reason must be that Multiterm is not available in the demo
Thanks both anyway. Greetings
Marina

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:44
English to German
+ ...
Translation Memory vs. Termbase Jun 20, 2005

Hi again,
Allow me to clarify a couple of concepts and the associated terminology:

Thanks both. I`ve already done what Kevin suggested and I created my own term base,

I take it you created your own translation memory, right? A TM is not a list of terms (that would be a termbase, but a database of segments (typically, a segment is a sentence).

but when I try to use that term base to recognize words in another translation

You don't use a TM to recognise words, but to find segments - IOW sentences (or parts thereof).

there appears an error message (I can`t remember the number now) and it says that Multiterm in not functioning. The reason must be that Multiterm is not available in the demo

Correct, as stated above.

Best regards,
Ralf

Marina Soldati
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Getting started with Trados. Help please? Jun 20, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi again,
Allow me to clarify a couple of concepts and the associated terminology:

Thanks both. I`ve already done what Kevin suggested and I created my own term base,

I take it you created your own translation memory, right? A TM is not a list of terms (that would be a termbase, but a database of segments (typically, a segment is a sentence).

but when I try to use that term base to recognize words in another translation

You don't use a TM to recognise words, but to find segments - IOW sentences (or parts thereof).

there appears an error message (I can`t remember the number now) and it says that Multiterm in not functioning. The reason must be that Multiterm is not available in the demo

Correct, as stated above.

Best regards,
Ralf

Thanks a lot, Marina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting started with Trados - what is a .mtw file?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »