Mobile menu

Select sentences rather than paragraphs
Thread poster: Harmen Rijks
Harmen Rijks  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
Jun 24, 2005

I'm using Trados with Word 2000

For some reason Trados selects whole paragraphs rather than single sentences. This seems to be related to the fact that is simply selects everything between paragraph marks. I therefore have to constantly go to the concordance window to find out how I tanslated a certain sentence as it does not automatically translate it. There might be a new sentence in the paragraph causing the 50% match I set to fail.

How can I set Trados in such a way that it slects sentences rather than paragraphs?

Thanks for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 11:49
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Non-breaking spaces Jun 24, 2005

This happens if there is a non-breaking space after the full stop. If this is your case, replace them with normal spaces. You can also try shrinking the segment (Alt+Ctrl+PageUp).

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Could also be... Jun 24, 2005

The problem could also be caused by numbers at the end of sentences. Trados perceives these as ordinal numbers and thinks the sentences isn't over. I get this problem all the time when translating patents containing numeral references.

Whatever the reason, you should still be able to shrink the segment using Alt+Ctrl+PageUp to step one full stop backward. Trados then compares the "new" sentence/segment with the TM and any match will come up.

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
I think this is better Jun 24, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

.. You can also try shrinking the segment (Alt+Ctrl+PageUp).

So you can decide case by case

Harmen Rijks  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
Thanks Jun 25, 2005

Thanks Hynek.

That solved the problem!

I guess I'll have to start reading the manuals...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Select sentences rather than paragraphs

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs